Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery

/ Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery #1  

webbmeister

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC25D
Does anyone who has had radiators, battery trays, fittings, etc. replaced as a result of <font color="blue"> NH Boomer </font> Batteries developing cottage cheese know if there is a service bulletin out addressing this? If not, how did you handle it with your dealer? Tractor still under warranty. Spencer200? Do you, reaching into that vast bucket of knowledge, know how this is being handled?

Thanks!

Jim

/ Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery #2  
Jim,

I can't tell you for sure. If your problem is corrected within the two year warranty it will be handled. I don't know for sure how after the warranty it will be handled. I complained to my dealer and told him I am concerned as acid is on my radiator and hoses. He is getting me a battery under warranty. I am just under the two year warranty. I have taken cleaners and pressure washed everything up front hoping that I will solve future trouble. I am still waiting for the battery. If I don't get it soon I will just go out and buy one myself cause Murphy's law affects me pretty good and I know it will all fall apart sometime after the warranty period.

murph

/ Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery #3  
The only thing we have been told is to clean the areas affected well. We have replaced one radiator and other part under warranty because they had gone beyond the clean up stage.

/ Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery
Uh oh ... that's not good. Thanks for the info, Spencer.

Jim

/ Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery #5  
Well I tried to point you back to a different thread where I posted a service alert that NH had released on this topic but ended up reposting to the orginal thread. I will just cut and paste instead of trying to be fancy.

Print out this post and bring it to you dealer. They can pull this up on the dealer assist site.

RQ4966

Series TC SERIES TRACTOR CLASS 3
Group Electrical systems - 55
Summary Description BATTERY BOILING OVER
Symptoms Battery boils over
Excessive corrosion of front end components from battery electrolyte emitting from battery vents.
Causes 1. Alternator is overcharging battery.

2. Battery is overfilled with electrolyte.

3. Battery composition
Solutions 1. Connect a charging system tester to check alternator output. Start the engine and operate at 1200 - 1500 ERPM. When the charging rate has dropped to less than 10 amps, the system voltage will be stabilized. Stabilized voltage will be approximately 13.2V at 100 degrees F to 15.2 volts at 32 degrees F.. Average voltage at 70 degrees F. will be 14.2 volts. If the charging rate is less than 13.7 volts or more that 14.7 volts at moderate temperatures (70 degrees F.) there is a fault with the charging system. In a overcharging situation, be certain to check the battery ground attachment point at the front frame of the tractor for resistance. Remove the battery ground at this point and remove the paint to bare metal for a better connection.

2. Electrolyte level should be 1/8" to 1/4" below fill ring in each cell. Due to overfilling, temperature and vibration the electrolyte may vent out of the fill caps, onto the top of the battery. If necessary drain electrolyte from the battery until it is at the proper fill level. Wash the battery with a water and baking soda solution to remove any excess acid.. Clean and/or replace any tractor parts that were exposed to electrolyte. Check alternator for proper output (max) 14.7 volts.

3. Batteries used on TC series tractors are an agricultural type (antimony charged and rated for rough service). Typically agriculture machinery use is seasonable and equipment may go for extended periods of time without being run and without the battery being charged. An antimony charged battery will maintain charge over longer periods of inactivity than standard automotive type batteries, however, agricultural type batteries (antimony charged) will however produce more corrosive/acid vapor. For units in continual use where periods of inactivity or rough usage/service is not a concern consider a maintenance free automotive battery.
Attachments No Attachments
WARRANTY: Standard warranty terms apply.

/ Warranty Coverage on Corrosion from Bad Battery
Jason:

Thanks, this is just what I needed!

Jim