Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ???

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #1  

Argee

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
I have a question for the Ford to Ford/New Holland brain trust out there.

An aquaintance of mine owns a 1720 that he says he purchased new in 1988. He says that his has no markings of New Holland whatsoever on the unit and Ford New Holland is mentioned once in his manual on the back page.

I own a 1715 which I purchased used last year. The dealer represented this as a 1997 model. The badges on my 1715 are all New Holland, all the decals are Ford. My serial No. plate says FORD NEW HOLLAND INC, NEW HOLLAND, PENNSYLVANIA.

The way I'm figuring on this is, the 1720 is an improved 1710....whereas a 1725 would be an improved 1715. The 1715 I'm guessing was the transition from Ford to Ford/New Holland and the 1725 was the transition from Ford/New Holland to New Holland.

Does that make any sense? Or have I got it figured wrong?

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #2  
I'd like to learn more about that, too. I almost bought a 1994 Ford 3930 which I *thought* was a Ford/NH unit. It turned out to be a pure Ford model that was built in England and then imported here with about 1500 hours on it. I've had some experience with British cars built around that time, and wasn't so sure I wanted a British tractor...

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #3  
The 1725 was the early beginings of the boomer line

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #4  
The Ford 3930's were and still are great tractors. I would not hesitate to own one. Also, not all British items are built by the same company. The British have built a lot of the Ford utility tractors that are still used today.

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #5  
Argee,
Yes, you are correct. Our 1520 tractor purchased in 1988 has only Ford markings on it, not any New Holland markings. The following is a brief explanation as to why.
As a history lesson, Ford purchased New Holland from the Sperry Corporation around '85 or '86. Ford merged the Ford tractor and New Holland implement lines together into a full line, Ford New Holland. A combination Ford New Holland logo was often used. Ford then proceded to sell the company off to Fiat about five years later.
Fiat put the former Ford New Holland operations together with their Fiat Agri operations to create a global company, New Holland. According to the agreement with Ford, use of the Ford oval was to disappear at a certain point. Use of the "FORD" name in block letters was used for a time, but also had to disappear by an agreed upon point in time.
Fiat purchased the Case Corporation (including Case IH ag tractors) around 2000 to create CNH Global. Once again, strengths were combined to create a stronger, global player. You will start to see the "CNH" logo start to make a more prominent position in both New Holland and Case IH literature in the near future. Most CNH factories already have this type of a sign hanging at the entrance, with the CNH logo more prominent than the New Holland or Case IH logos.
There are many interesting chapters and verses within each merger. What I wrote is just a simple, antiseptic view of the mergers without any opinion added for spice. The opinion is for another time and place...

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've had some experience with British cars built around that time, and wasn't so sure I wanted a British tractor... )</font>

I think there are a lot of people out there happy with their Fordsons (which are British). The dealer I bought my TC35D from regularly wins local vintage tractor pulls with his Fordsons.

/ Ford to Ford/New Holland transition ??? #7  
My 1997 NH 1920 has both Ford and NH stickers on it... though i believe the xfer was going on in the early 90s.. etc.

Soundguy