Changing Hydro Fluid??

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
I have a TC29D. I am getting ready to change the hydraulic fluid next week. I just changed the oil and it was easy. How difficult is it to change the hydro fluid? I don't have my manual in front of me, but I recall reading something like 8 gallons of fluid?? What did you guys who have boomers drain your fluid into? Also, if I am reading the manual right, there are 2 drain plugs, and 2 filters. One filter for the tranny and one for the other parts.. Is this correct? Anyways, sorry to ask so many questions. I am actually fairly mechanically inclined, I am just being extra careful to research everything because I LOVE MY TRACTOR!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #2  
<font color="blue"> How difficult is it to change the hydro fluid? </font>
No harder than changing the engine oil.

<font color="blue"> I don't have my manual in front of me, but I recall reading something like 8 gallons of fluid?? </font>
The manual indicates 8.8 gallons.

<font color="blue"> What did you guys who have boomers drain your fluid into? </font>
Advanced Auto Parts sells 5 gallon, yellow drain pans w/ spout. I used 2 of them.

<font color="blue"> Also, if I am reading the manual right, there are 2 drain plugs, and 2 filters. One filter for the tranny and one for the other parts.. Is this correct? </font>
Almost. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif There are 3 drain plugs.

For getting the new oil back in, removing the tool box makes it much easier.

Here's a link to the entire procedure I followed.

P.S.
I moved your post to the NH forum since your questions were about a Boomer.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #3  
Typhoon, do you already have 300 hours on your tractor? You can change the transmission oil earlier if you like, but I think your Owner's Manual recommends only checking the hydraulic oil at 50 hours and actually changing it at 300. Hydraulic oil lasts a lot longer than engine oil. Hydraulic oil doesn't get full of ash and particles from fuel combustion like the engine oil does. If you change the hydro oil at 50 hr, it will probably be crystal clear. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Changing Hydro Fluid??
Thanks for the replies guys! And Jinman, I think I will follow your recommendation and wait until 300 hours. It makes much more sense. I will double check but I could swear that my manual says that when you hit 50 hrs you are supposed to change all fluids, but I will double check. However, even if it does, I think that is a little overkill. So, I will change it at 300 hours. I think I am going to go ahead and change my fuel filter now though like the manual says. ITs probably dirty...
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
-Brad

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #5  
The reason for the 50 hr. change for hydro fluid is internal wear (break-in) .Fluid may look clean but it's the micro particles and acids that you don't see that need to be removed. Especialy in the first several hours of use.Filters can't get all of it. If you plan to keep this machine long term.......CHANGE THE FLUID as per manual. dass

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #6  
<font color="blue"> CHANGE THE FLUID as per manual. </font>
The Class II Operator's Manual does not recommend changing the hyd fluid at 50 hours.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #7  
You're right Mike, I guess it's because of the quantity. That's a LOT of fluid. dass

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #8  
The dealer performed my 50 hour service and their dealer practice is to change the hydro fluid at 50 hours for the reasons you mentioned. I changed over to Amsoil synthetic hydraulic fluid at 175 hours for better winter performance.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #9  
I should add that I have 350 hrs. on the T-C 18. I have used F-200 since the first change. Faster warm up and quicker loader responce in cold weather. Also less whine. Next change,at 600 hrs, I'll use Amsoil. My dealer gets $40 for 5gal. of F-134, $60 for F-200 and the Amsoil was about $90.But the shipping on Amsoil will kill ya !

/ Changing Hydro Fluid?? #10  
Mike,Did you get your fluid from a local dealer or mail order. dass