Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    1969 Ford 4000 3cyl Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ebayollis View Post
    When I change the seals can it be done from the outer hub in or will I have to split the whole rear end?
    I've got a 1969 European model with the heavy front axle. I replaced the left rear axle seal last year. You have to remove the housing from the differential and take everything out of the housing. I left my tire on. I removed everything that would prevent it from coming off, i.e. Fender, stabilizer chain etc. Have plenty of clean hydraulic fluid jugs handy for when you drain it. I removed all the bolts holding the housing on. Then standing inside of the tire with my back to it I was able to work it out and then lay the wheel down therefore pointing the axle upward. It wasn't all that bad, just heavy work. Pay close attention to how everything comes out. I had to buy a 1 5/16" socket to remove the main bolt down inside. I then had to rig up a press using a small bottle jack and a chain to pop the housing off of the axle shaft. The seal is attached to the housing. I ruined one new seal because I didn't realize how it went on. It doesn't press on but you do have to press it down( used same press rig to do this) and then peen it all the way around to get it to stay on. Sorry for the long post.

Tractor
    1969 Ford 4000 3cyl Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by followjr View Post
    I've got a 1969 European model with the heavy front axle. I replaced the left rear axle seal last year. You have to remove the housing from the differential and take everything out of the housing. I left my tire on. I removed everything that would prevent it from coming off, i.e. Fender, stabilizer chain etc. Have plenty of clean hydraulic fluid jugs handy for when you drain it. I removed all the bolts holding the housing on. Then standing inside of the tire with my back to it I was able to work it out and then lay the wheel down therefore pointing the axle upward. It wasn't all that bad, just heavy work. Pay close attention to how everything comes out. I had to buy a 1 5/16" socket to remove the main bolt down inside. I then had to rig up a press using a small bottle jack and a chain to pop the housing off of the axle shaft. The seal is attached to the housing. I ruined one new seal because I didn't realize how it went on. It doesn't press on but you do have to press it down( used same press rig to do this) and then peen it all the way around to get it to stay on. Sorry for the long post.
    -image-3085648372-jpg

-image-3445742881-jpg

Tractor
    ford 4000

Default Re: getting ready to buy a ford 4000

Hey thanks for the long post...helps me out a lot!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234