My take on the toolbox mounting bracket..

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #1  

KrisHansen

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33d
Hey all,

Following PineRidge Mike's great mount idea, I decided to finally build the one I had been thinking of for a while.. It's a lot different than the one Mike built, but has the same effect. I can mount up to a 20" box on mine, or whatever else I feel like.. Maybe one of those water jugs for summer work.. Anyway, here is a pic, the rest is on my website..

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #2  
Kris, nice design.

Similar (but probably a bit better) than what I did. I also built a shelf and mounted a box to my shelf. Mine is not as substantial as yours, so you have some extra flexibility to mount different things if you want to use it for that. If you are planning on using the shelf for holding things other than the tool box, like you said a water jug or something . . . are you going to use some sort of wing nut or other easily attachable/detachable mounting system to hold the various things in place?

In my case, I just wanted to mount a large tool box and leave it there. My box is about 16" wide, 18" tall and 9" from front to back. It is a Pick Up Truck box with a black diamond plate top and side panels but the back and front are flat steel. I epoxied a Slow Moving Vehicle sign right to the back of the box since I can't use the factory mounting bracket for the SMV sign anymore (the bracket is still there, it is just not useable because of the placement of my box support bracket.

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket..
Bob, Thanks!

I am probably going to just get a nice box (I like the idea of using a small truck box!) and mount it to the plate..

since I NEVER go on public roads, I don't need my SMV sign, though I will most lilkely mount the bracket to whatever box I get..

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #4  
Here is a picture of my box, before I epoxied the SMV sign to the back of it.

326466-box.jpg

If you look under the toolbox you can see I mounted my bracket to the base of the ROPS using the bolts from the ROPS. On the Class I boomers the original tool box cannot be removed, but the new toolbox blocks access to it from the rear. I still have access to the original box if I flip the seat up. I use it to keep the manuals in, but no tools.

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #5  
On this same forum go to take a look at what PineRidge did to his Class II boomer. He used clamps and a custom made shelf to mount his box between his ROPS uprights.

I think all 3 of us chose similar paths to arrive at essentially the desitnation. A new big useful toolbox behind the seat. He has pictures of his fabrication process. Here is the link to his thread:

PineRidge's Class II Boomer tool box project

I also posted pictures of my project on a thread, but I didn't provide as many steps for others to follow. Mine was simple enough, required some bending and some welding. Here is the link to mine:

Class I Boomer custom tool box project

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #6  
Yep.. water jugs are nice. I zip-tied one of those spring loaded 'C' type hooks (like you see in super market checkouts.. keychains.. etc... ) upside down on my rops. I just click my igloo water jug into it, I have a bungee that secures the base, if I feel like it.

We forget the importance of water on those long work days.

Soundguy

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #7  
<font color="blue"> PineRidge's Class II Boomer tool box project </font>
According to Pineridge's profile, he has a TC40D which is a Class III boomer.

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #8  
Kris, can you still fold your ROPS with a toolbox that size?

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #9  
oops

/ My take on the toolbox mounting bracket.. #10  
I don't know about Kris, but even with the tall toolbox on my tractor, the ROPS will fold. I never bother folding it, but it will fold. It does not go flush against itself, but it gets down far enough that I would shear my head off if I hit something fast enough!!!

Here is a side view of my box, you can see it sticks up a few inches above the top of the seat, but is placed far enough forward that the ROPS will go down if I choose to fold it. You can see the ROPS hinge in the upper portion of the picture, when it folds, it comes almost to a position perpendicular to the ground.

326521-sidebox.jpg