Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #1  

DeanH

Can someone please educate me on the following? When you grease the front king pins, do you keep adding grease until is squeezes out near the ball? I've put at least a tube and half of grease, so want to make sure of the process.

Also, the manual doesn't state whether to screw in the front axle dipstick when measuring the amount of oil and it would make at least a 1/2" difference in the reading. I've inferred it doesn't get screwed in. So if you know the answer there, please enlighten me on that as well. I appreciate your time, Dean

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #2  
MFWD, correct? IIRC, Add grease, turn wheels back and forth, look for fresh grease on the exposed surface of the balls, repeat until you have greasy balls. It only took a couple few pumps of the gun for me to get there.

I always seat my dipsticks, but I'm not swearing that is correct procedure as it comes form the automotive industry. Hopefully someone with real tractor knowledge will come along. Inquiring minds want to know~

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #3  
It is good practice to jack the front axle up and take the weight off the wheels and then grease it.

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #4  
Keep enough grease in it to so it doesn't dry out. Add more when it looks like it's starting to dry rub on the hubs..Mine usually takes about 10 pumps with a hand operated grease gun to get it to look slick. Yours must have been neglected for some time if it took 1 1/2 tubes of grease.

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #5  
Can someone please educate me on the following? When you grease the front king pins, do you keep adding grease until is squeezes out near the ball? I've put at least a tube and half of grease, so want to make sure of the process.
1-1/2 tube total or in one side? Both is a lot but I can't fathom 1-1/2 in one side

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #6  
On dipsticks......you get 2 kinds.......SCREW- INS AND PRESS-INS...........Press_ins you press in to check level and screw-ins you screw out and clean then put in without screwing in to check level !

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please
1-1/2 tube total or in one side? Both is a lot but I can't fathom 1-1/2 in one side

Yes, I should have stated it is 4WD. The tube and a half is between both sides, and actually is probably a bit more as I tried a bit more after posting.

I did have it jacked up while doing some of the pumping with wheels removed, as I replaced the hubs oil as well. Why does that matter? I can see that you would then be able to rotate the hub to look for the grease to be deposited during the process. I will use this method next time as a check. I can't quite picture the grease depository shape and am curious how soon the grease would have appeared if I had rotated it from time to time during the process.

The dipstick on this one is screw in type, so sounds like I did it right for that style. I hate manuals that fail to clearly state this aspect.

I tried to cover most of the bases and performed the following:

coolant flush and replacement
hub and front axle oil
new battery- wish I'd gone for more cranking amps, oh well...sprayed the area with corrosion protection
adjusted valves- still bewildered that there are not marks for TDC on diesels
replaced upper radiator cooling hose
Cleaned air cleaner- why did oil bath filters go out of vogue? Can't charge money for each change?

I appreciate the forum to be able to ask such questions. Thanks for the help, Dean

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #8  
My Kawasaki engine on my Ferris mower is the only OEM that I have ever seen that addresses how to use the dip stick. It specifies to "do not screw in " to check the oil. Most others never say only to keep it between the lines which with 1/2-3/4" of thread would be really low or really high.

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please #9  
All,

As the scan of Ford 1700 Owner's manual suggests, you " do not" screw the dip stick in to test transmission/hyd oil level.

JC,

/ Greasing King Pins Ford 1700 Advice Please
Hi JC: Yes, it does address it for that dipstick, but not the front axle one on page 40. I'll use the logic of if it's a screw type, don't screw it in when measuring, which is consistent with the diagram you reference and Gary Fowler's comments as well. Thank you for all the posts on the 1700 (including the valve adjust which I referenced yesterday during that effort), as they have been very helpful, Dean