New Holland TC35 PTO

/ New Holland TC35 PTO #1  

jrghoosier

Tractor
New Holland TC35
What can the problem be when the PTO turns, but stops when meeting resistance? Regular grass slows the PTO to almost a stop. Can't use the tiller. No power. Hydraulic oil is full. Pump? Sensors? Surely not the clutch/brake? Need clues as where to start. The PTO turns at full speed until it meets resistance. All other hydraulics work fine, loader, etc. Would really like to know if there are less expensive things to try before the added expense of having the tractor picked up and broken apart...if that's not needed!

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC35 PTO #2  
I have a TC 31 hydro and I am experiencing the same issue. I will be watching this thread to see what could be the issue.

/ New Holland TC35 PTO #3  
Sounds like a PTO repair. Not cheap, but necessary, It will only get worse.

/ New Holland TC35 PTO #4  
Clutch/brake IS the issue. you need clutch disc repair. A classic case of slippage.

/ New Holland TC35 PTO
Talked to a dealer and they said it sounds like the clutch nest. When asked if the tractor had to be broken apart, the mechanical manager wasn't for sure. The parts guy said I could do it by removing the top cover of the transfer case and tear PTO plate. Their uncertainty scares me!

/ New Holland TC35 PTO #6  
Your PTO has a hydraulically operated clutch that requires sufficient hydraulic pressure to actuate it and keep it from slipping when under load. If it went all out all at once vs getting progressive worse over time, the problem is most likely hydraulic vs worn out clutch plates. I would recommend checking the PTO clutch hydraulic pressure. There is a port on the top PTO clutch control valve (under the seat) for doing this. For a TC35 it should be 200 +-15psi. If the pressure is good, it's probably the clutch plates. If it is low you might get out of this cheap with a pressure adjustment or blockage in the PTO clutch control relief valve. There is an adjustment port on the side of PTO clutch control valve to adjust the relief valve operating pressure. Good luck

/ New Holland TC35 PTO
Thank you sir! will borrow some gauges and try that first!
Will keep u posted!