Ford 4600 cooling issue

/ Ford 4600 cooling issue #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Ok I think I have a issue. Let's start from the top. I bought this tractor and seems to run and crank very well. But I first did a coolant flush and got rust colored coolant out. Filled with clean water plus radiator flush ran per directions and got more rust coolant out. Did again and more very rust colored coolant. Radiator pretty clean last drain but engine coolant very dirty. On top of this first drain out I got a lot more water than second and third drain out. It's like system is not completely filling back up and water is over core in radiator. Seems like less water in engine block. Also I don't see water moving in radiator but not sure I should. Next interesting part So backing up when I got the tractor I noticed temp gauge ran right up to red but would never go into red. I removed radiator cap and no boiling out etc. So I purchased a new 188 thermostat and now temp goes a little into the red. Next I decide to get a new temp sending unit and now it runs from little red mark (1st quarter of gauge) to middle of gauge as you would expect. See picture! My questions now are (1) why am I still getting rust out. (2) why can I now not get enough water back into the system (3) should I see water flowing in the radiator (4) And do the pics I took showing inferred thermometer look like normal temp readings. These are on the block not the manifold. Rear of engine definitely hotter that front. Is this normal? Please help!

image-2563518467.jpg

Attachments

• image-2868208090.jpg
    image-2868208090.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 326
  • image-2479044465.jpg
    image-2479044465.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 323
   / Ford 4600 cooling issue #2  
i'd keep flushing that system till flakes and rust stopped coming out.

I think I'dd ad din a gallon of vinegar.. then tap water. run.. then drain.. then keep going in with tap toill it came out clean.

i've puleld core plugs on engines and seen blocks half full of scale and flakes.. makes for hot spots!

/ Ford 4600 cooling issue #3  
1) why am I still getting rust out.

Like sound guy said rust likes to settle down and stick in the water jacket, keep flushing.

(2) why can I now not get enough water back into the system

I'd guess the new Tstat is holding tighter than old and not letting water gush out fast.
I usually remove Tstat only for the purpose of flushing.

(3) should I see water flowing in the radiator

Not much flow to see because the Engine isn't working hard enough to open Tstat completely.

(4) And do the pics I took showing inferred thermometer look like normal temp readings.

I realize your not shooting the exhaust manifold but I think your getting some residual heat in the readings, holding the gun closer reduces the coverage area of the average temp.
I would shoot the temps of the Tstat housing, the lower rad hose, and maybe the oil pan(relative oil temp)

/ Ford 4600 cooling issue
Thanks guys. All you said ended up on the mark. It took a total of 4 flushes with Gunk radiator cleaner to remove all the rust. Each time water looked very dark brown. I ended up removing the new Tstat I had just installed but had stopped working after only 4 hours and did the last two flushes. Then installed a new Tstat which works great so far. Thanks for your help as I'm a happy camper now.

/ Ford 4600 cooling issue #5  
someoen may have at one time put in a can of bars leaks for a hose leak and then changed the hoses.. and it stayed in there with rust till yuo finally got it all out.

like i said. i've seen blocks HALF FULL of rust!

someoen may have at one time put in a can of bars leaks for a hose leak and then changed the hoses.. and it stayed in there with rust till yuo finally got it all out. like i said. i've seen blocks HALF FULL of rust!

Maybe so. The original owner had the tractor for several years then sold it to his neighbor who has had it for 17 or so years. He ran water in it for sometime and forgot to change it which eventually blew the freeze plug or plugs. I'm sure that's part of the issue. Thing is that other than this the tractor is in great shape and starts on a dime even in very cold weather. Steering is very tight and smooth, shifters are tight like new and brake adjustments have hardly been touched. Hopefully there will be no long term effects for the poor coolant care but guess time will tell. Seems for now though the cooling system is back in check and all the rust issues are gone. I do love this tractor.

/ Ford 4600 cooling issue #7  
if it popped core plugs, someone may have ran a stop leak in it as a 'safe factor'.. that and the straight water allowing more rust.

ps.. i'd put some sca/dca addatives in the coolant.

if it popped core plugs, someone may have ran a stop leak in it as a 'safe factor'.. that and the straight water allowing more rust. ps.. i'd put some sca/dca addatives in the coolant.
I'm running a peak heavy duty coolant with the additives already added. But now you have me worried about the stop leak. :( What future issues could I have?

/ Ford 4600 cooling issue #9  
all depends.. depends if the block had cracks.. or if the rad or hoses did.. or perhaps none at all and it was just regular sediment.

keep an eye on water level and oil. if you are loosing water.. or getting water in oil / oil in water.. THEN start to worry.

all depends.. depends if the block had cracks.. or if the rad or hoses did.. or perhaps none at all and it was just regular sediment. keep an eye on water level and oil. if you are loosing water.. or getting water in oil / oil in water.. THEN start to worry.

Ok will do. Hope there is no issues as it's a awesome tractor.