Replacing hose, help please.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #21  
Re: Here\'s what I know as of today

There is no service bulletin on the Class III oil coolers. We have experienced multiple failures of oil coolers on Class III tractors using the later style cooler. This would be after S/N G505500 if we were talking about a TC35D. I happen to know NH is working on a better cooler. It has not to my knowlege been released. It is highly unlikely that your dealer will replace a non-leaking oil cooler on a ClassIII at this time. If he did, the new cooler would not be any better or different than the one he takes off. If your current cooler is not leaking, you should not be concerned. If your TC35D is prior to s/n G505500, you have a better oil cooler than a later tractor, and should not be concerned.

/ Replacing hose, help please.

Ok, I will be talking with the service manager again tomorrow (Friday, Jan 2) about this issue. Then I will post all information associated. However, if any of you are interested in talking to this service manager yourself, you should go ahead and give her a call because she was very knowledgeable about the subject. The dealership is FB McAfoos, located in Benton Illinois. I cannot remember the service manager's name, but there are two.. and the one you want to speak with is a female. The phone number is (618) 438-4721. She explained to me that they are replacing many coolers due to this defect, with a cooler that flows better. I will try to find out more tomorrow as well.
She is also replacing my battery, battery tray, and even the radiator if there is any sign of corrosion on it.
-Brad

/ Replacing hose, help please. #23  

OK guys, here's my story . . .

Being the owner of a TC29D with 288 hrs., I inspected the hoses in question. Yep, just as you might expect, the hoses showed some small cracks upon initial inspection. Once the engine was running, yet still cold, the intake hose (left hose) swelled up enough to expose the hose braid. The right hose also has cracks, did not show the inner braid, but boy did it swell up! Which would lead me to believe that it is not high back pressure that is the problem here.

I took pictures of the hoses and off I went to my NH dealer. Neither the owner of service manager were aware of this problem, but took great interest in finding a solution. The service manager looked to see that they had sold ten (10) of the hoses in 2003. They contacted NH and spoke with them concerning this problem.

The service manager had discussed this with NH and came away with the following information. NH is aware of the problem. NH is not looking to change the Oil cooler for the Class II Boomers. It is suspected that the fabrication technique used in forming the 90 degree bends in the hoses has weakened the hose considerably. NH is working on a new hose for the Class II Boomers, but has no specific availability as of yet. NH also suggested that the dealer braise 90 degree fittings to the tubes, and then use straight pieces of hose for the connections.

This information is a little different than other information posted here, but I trust my dealer. they have always gone the extra mile for me when needed. At this point, my tractor usage is down to a minimum, so I am going to wait until late January to see what, if anything, the NH engineers have come up with. I'm not sure I like the idea of altering the tubes at this point.

Attachments

• 357323-TC29D Oil Cooler Left Hose - Engine Running 4.jpg
    357323-TC29D Oil Cooler Left Hose - Engine Running 4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 156
   / Replacing hose, help please. #24  

When I had to replace mine my dealer was out of inventory. I could not find hoses that had the 90 degree so I took longer hoses and made loops out of them. Made it tough to close the hood but at least there was no 90 degree bends to restrict the flow. I will watch this thread and see what comes out of it. I have until June before my warranty is up.

murph

/ Replacing hose, help please. #25  

I plan on at least buying the new hoses for the Oil Cooler, and am considering the brasising on of elbows. As long as they are braised on correctly, that would take care of the problem.

As to warranty, my dealer tossed that notion to the side several times in conversation. My Boomer was purchased 3.5 years ago, and is certainly out of warranty, but my Dealer just kept saying that it didn't matter, they wanted to make it right. I appreciate the notion, but I just have a problem allowing them to do free work on equipment that had been sold so long ago, but the response of the dealer in any situation is what make the equipment, not the Logos or color.

I'll keep all posted as this develops for me.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #26  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I plan on at least buying the new hoses for the Oil Cooler, and am considering the brasising on of elbows. As long as they are braised on correctly, that would take care of the problem.
)</font>

I don't think I would braze them. There is a lot of pressure and vibration and I believe the rubber hoses are there for the reason of vibration. I would think if one would braze them they would just crack.

just me opinion that is all but is something to think about.

murph

/ Replacing hose, help please. #27  

The recommendation is to braise elbows onto the straight sections. Straight section of hoses would still be required to connect the oil cooler. There was no intent to connect the cooler in a solid fashion to the tubing. Since the hoses would be straight sections, the integrety of the hose would be as the manufacturer provided, not compromised thru the molding/bending process that NH had specified to the third party manufacturer of the hose elbows.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #28  
The bend isn\'t the problem

Boomerboy said:

"Since the hoses would be straight sections, the integrety of the hose would be as the manufacturer provided, not compromised thru the molding/bending process that NH had specified to the third party manufacturer of the hose elbows."

Formed low pressure hose is not a new concept. The manufacturer is responsible for delivering a product that meets the design specification. The cause of these hose failures is not that they are 'bent' but that thay simply can't stand the operating pressure of the cooler circuit. Either because of excessive pressure or substandard hose manufacture. Brazed elbows will allow only a short hose which may well not absorb vibration enough to maintain the integrity of the cooler fittings themselves or the newly brazed joint. Good luck.