Replacing hose, help please.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Ok, for those of you who have boomers, you will probably know exactly what im talking about here. In front of the radiator, there is the miniature radiator (hydro fluid cooler). Well, under the cooler on each side there is a small rubber hose that makes a 90 degree angle (one is for fluid coming in and one is for fluid coming out of the cooler). Well, mine arent leaking yet. However they are starting to crack. And I remember reading a post a while back about this, and I want to avoid a hose blowing out. So, I want to go ahead and replace the small hose pieces. But I have two questions. First, how will I accomplish this without losing a ton of fluid?? Will I only lose the fluid in the cooler??? IF so I will just drain the cooler and replace that amount when im done. Second question.... what kind of hose should I use so that this won't happen again?? Thanks in advance!!
-Brad

/ Replacing hose, help please. #2  
<font color="blue"> First, how will I accomplish this without losing a ton of fluid?? </font>
I took a piece of cardboard and fashioned a shield that I tucked behind the hydraulic cooler, over the battery and down over the hood latch. I creased it to form a trough so the fluid would drain properly. As it turns out, you don't lose all that much fluid.

<font color="blue"> what kind of hose should I use so that this won't happen again?? </font>
Use the hoses from the dealer. You won't find these formed hoses anywhere else.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #3  
You did a good thing replacing the hose prior to the failure.

No worries about fluid loss during replacement - the circuit is not under pressure when the machine is off and you are replacing the hose. You are saving yourself soooo much time and mess by taking care of this issue now. If you get a chance - read my frustrations in a past thread about how I dealt with this issue. By the way - I have zero tolerance for leaks of any kind on a newer machine. Right now I have none.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #4  
Typhoon,

My hoses broke on my TC29D. The first one went and I lost a lot of fluid. Dealer did not have one in stock so we made one that was longer and then I just put a loop in it. Before the new ones came in the second one was leaking. When I put the new ones on I had a heck of a time getting them to not leak with the new hoses. You almost have to get the factory ones because of the bend. If you are just changing them just rig up a funnel of some kind to dirct the fluid away from your machine. Attached is a pic of mine after I changed the hoses. My new hoses expand an awful lot when running. I took it back in to my dealer and even though they expand my dealer said not worry about it. But I guess i am worried.

Pic with tractor off

murph

Attachments

• 355221-hosetractoroff.jpg
    355221-hosetractoroff.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 263
   / Replacing hose, help please. #5  
Pic with tractor running

Attachments

• 355223-HosetractorOn.jpg
    355223-HosetractorOn.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 229
   / Replacing hose, help please. #6  
Typhoon, if your hoses are already cracked, do not wait to replace them. I read murph's original post and thought my tractor was too new to have it happen (2 years old, less than 200 hours). A few days later I happened to be doing some dusty work and thought I'd better check the screen in front of the radiator. When I opened the hood and saw the hoses I just hoped I could make it back to the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Again, don't delay if yours are already cracked.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #7  
I put zip ties around the new hoses - 1 about every 1/4 inch.

This gives me a little more faith but I must agree that they sure swell up. Seems like a ticking time bomb. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. My brother recommended a braided line but we could not find anything with the 90 degree bend.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #8  
This is an issue NH needs to address. The problem is either the hoses are too weak for the job, or the cooler and or cooler bypass valve will not flow enough oil, particularly in cold weather. I replaced a hose on a TC33 the other day (LH side, the line feeding the cooler) the replacement instantly distended just as badly as the hose I took off. I am interested in testing the pressure at the cooler bypass valve, and perhaps temporarily bypassing the cooler completely to see what the resulting pressure is in the curcuit. Clearly there is a problem here, and it may well not be the hose in question.

/ Replacing hose, help please. #9  
Unfortunately, Typhoon started a whole new thread with a poor title, so anyone reading on this issue might miss it. Check out: Important: Read This by Typhoon

He talks about his tractor being recalled to replace the cooler & the lines.

--->Paul

/ Replacing hose, help please.
Yeah oops... I blew it on that. I should have put something about it in the title. Hopefully everyone will read it anyways though since I put "important". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif