New Holland TC40D Pto won't stop spinning

/ New Holland TC40D Pto won't stop spinning #1  

diamondndsky

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have a 2001 New Holland TC40D tractor with hydro. When I disengage the pto, it still spins and with some force. I have to shut off the tractor completely to get it to stop spinning so I can hook up any equipment. Once equipment is hooked to it, it usually is enough force against the pto so that it doesn't engage the equipment, but sometimes, for example on the finish mower it will turn the blades still slightly and slowly. Once I push lever forward and engage the pto, it engages the equipment and runs fine. Once I pull the lever back and disengage the pto, it takes enough torque off it where the equipment stops but if I were to unhook the equipment, the pto would still be spinning... Any suggestions?

/ New Holland TC40D Pto won't stop spinning #2  
I have a 2001 New Holland TC40D tractor with hydro. When I disengage the pto, it still spins and with some force. I have to shut off the tractor completely to get it to stop spinning so I can hook up any equipment. Once equipment is hooked to it, it usually is enough force against the pto so that it doesn't engage the equipment, but sometimes, for example on the finish mower it will turn the blades still slightly and slowly. Once I push lever forward and engage the pto, it engages the equipment and runs fine. Once I pull the lever back and disengage the pto, it takes enough torque off it where the equipment stops but if I were to unhook the equipment, the pto would still be spinning... Any suggestions?

My limited understanding about those PTO's is that they are engaged by a hydraulic clutch. Maybe check the linkage from the operating handle and adjust there? Maybe the clutch is slightly engaged?

/ New Holland TC40D Pto won't stop spinning #4  
As I understand it, there is a brake on the pto. Check your owners manual?

/ New Holland TC40D Pto won't stop spinning #5  
diamondsky, I had a 2000 TC35D that the PTO brake went out on. It acted like yours. At the time I bought the tractor CNH gave an extended warranty, so I dont know what the repair cost, I think they split the tractor to fix it. Talk to your dealer service dept. Get it fixed, there could be parts riding around in your transmission just waiting to cause problems, there was in mine. lt190b