TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
When I purchased my TC-40D I included a set of pallet forks to help us offload the large trucks that bring our goods to us from time to time. Today we had our first shipment of goods that came to us on two semi trucks.

First I used a pallet puller & grade 70 trucker chain to gently coax each pallet to the rear of the truck so that I could reach each with the forks. The New Holland 17LA loader and pallet forks worked effortlessly in getting all the goods off the trucks in a minimum amount of time and without damage. The additional 950 pounds of cast iron weight on the back of the tractor made it very a very steady work platform.

I was also tickled with the fact that with each new pallet that I lifted it was getting easier to work with the over steer created by the SuperSteer axle. Even though I may not be yet ready or willing to work on the loading docks of New York the equipment worked flawlessly and better than expected. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #2  
Mike, what do you estimate to be the weight of the pallets? Did you take them all the way from the truck to the ground and then lift them up again? I'm just wondering because I've had some pretty heavy loads on my forks, and it's much easier to take the load and slowly lower it to the ground rather than pick up a load off the ground.

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out
Jim since I had two semis stacked I off loaded everything to the ground first to get both drivers back on the road. I then moved each pallet to the storage area keeping the load as low as possible on each pallet while moving.

Pallet weight was between 500 to 775 pounds each since the merchandise was all mixed goods. Some of it was stacked so high on each pallet that I just had barely enough room to lift it before it would contact the ceiling of the trailer. For top heavy loads like that my concern was to get them on the ground as quickly as possible.

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #4  
Mike,
Glad to hear that it went well. I have the same setup, and my one major use of mr pallet forks was to unload my steel for my barn from a semi. I dont know how much it weighed, but I routinely found that i would grab a load and couldn't lift it. The engine wouldn't lug down, the rear wheels didn't come off the ground, but it just wouldn't lift. Guess I was popping the relief valve.
Lar

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #5  
I don't have pallet forks for my TC45D, but I have a set of forks that chain onto the bucket. After my house was finished, I had some real challenges cleaning up.

There was a trash bin 4 ft square x 6' tall that was full of scrap wood. I could lift it, but it was so tall I was afraid to get it too high for fear it would topple. I kept it just inches off the ground and moved it about 300 ft to my burn pile.

I was so proud of my little tractor that I got overconfident and tried to lift a pallet with about 30 bags of concrete without doing the math. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I couldn't get it off the ground, but finally I was able to just slighty tilt the leading edge of the pallet up and skidded the pallet to my barn.

Finally I had steel laying on the ground, and like Larry Horn, it looked like such a small amount.... Well, I had to split the steel into three bunches, because that stuff is HEAVY. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

These little tractors are tough, but you can find their limits in a hurry if you try to lift concrete and steel. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #6  
pine ridge: where did you get the forks? I would like to find a set,so far nothing used around-Do you have a pic? Thanks-Lloyd.

PS Hang on it is suppose to get real cold again,maybe historical lows,it is cold here in CT...................

Larry & Jim being in HVAC for years I can remember how much flat pieces of sheet metal weighed when we had to transfer the load to our work area from the flatbed delivery truck. We used to always purchase sheet metal by the ton. I think the 17LA on a TC-40D will lift maybe 975 pounds before it gives up. I bought my forks knowing that it would save me lots of work and man hours unloading trucks.

Five months ago we had a semi come in here with packages roughly 24" square. The semi was stacked front to rear and to the ceiling loose. They never used a pallet in the bunch and no two were taped together. It took us some time to get that one unloaded. That's when I decided to make my purchase for the forks.

Granger12002 if you click on my signature line hyperlink you can see a picture of the pallet forks that I use. I believe the name on the side is Katsco. I hope I didn't murder the spelling. They seem to be well made in any case. I got them from my NH dealer when I purchased my TC-40D.

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #8  
<font color="blue">I think the 17LA on a TC-40D will lift maybe 975 pounds before it gives up. </font>

Mike, I think you need to add a "1" to that for maybe 1,975 lb. I don't know the exact number off the top of my head, but it's nearly a ton.

Just checked the NH website. It says 1,760-1,955 lbs.
for the 17LA.

Jim your figures make my day. I don't know where I got the original info but the numbers were way off base. Turns out the pallet weights that we were working with actually were no work for the loader at all based on your numbers. Nice to know I have a substantial reserve for heavier items that come to me in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for setting me straight.

/ TC-40D & Pallet Fork Work Out #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think the 17LA on a TC-40D will lift maybe 975 pounds before it gives up.)</font>

Maybe there is something wrong with that 17LA/TC40D. That's about half of what it ought to be able to lift. I have definitely lifted 1500 pounds with my 16LA/TC35D.