Hydro Cooler again..

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Well, as you might have read from my previous post about the hydro cooler, my lines were cracking so I let the dealer come pick up my tractor, and do the warranty work. They replaced the hydro cooler with a better flowing one, and the hoses. Well, 3 days later now and the new hoses are leaking a bit. Not real bad, but enough. For those of you who have class 2 boomers, do you have any tricks to clamp the hoses down so they dont leak? I am talking about the small 90degree ones that come out of the cooler. The rubber hoses. Thanks!

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #2  
<font color="blue"> do you have any tricks to clamp the hoses down so they dont leak? </font>
I had to really tighten the hose clamps, i.e., a lot tighter than I originally thought was necessary.

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #3  
I had one heck of a time getting mine to seal. I used a 18" screwdriver and cranked on them pretty good. In fact after I got them to seal and saw the hoses bulging up I took the hoses off again to make sure I didn't flatten the ends of the tubes. I didn't so then I cranked them back down again. They don't leak anymore but I sure still hate to see them hoses expand the way they do. I don't think they will get through next summer.

I thought someone had a service bulletin number they were going to post so we could go to our dealers and get fixed.

murph

/ Hydro Cooler again..
Well, I spoke with my dealer (service manager) today, and he assured me that it was completely normal that they bulge like that when the tractor is running. It still seems a little iffy to me, but I guess he would know. Someone on here had a good idea and put several zip ties all along the hose to keep it from bulging. Im thinking about it.

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #5  
Try two clamps on each end, with the screw 180 degrees apart.

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #6  
I had previously written a really long story on these hoses.

I have new ones installed now and they are not leaking but I am confident that they will fail within a summer or two.

Still open for any ideas on how to fix this situation so that I am not sitting on a time bomb.

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #7  
Speaking of that story, I think you were the one that tie-rapped.. right? I did the same then mixed up some A-B epoxy and coated them from end to end. No problems yet. Thanks for the idea.

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Still open for any ideas on how to fix this situation so that I am not sitting on a time bomb. )</font>

cdcole,

I feel the same way as you that within two years I will be changing mine again. So my solution is when I order filters etc in the spring, I am going to order hoses also. They are not the expensive to go through the mess I went through with spilling hydro fluid all over the place. This way I can take the hoses off and drain the oil in a small bucket and re-use the oil.

murph

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #9  
Sure sounds like a design defect on NH's part. The class III Boomers all have hydraulic-rated hoses with corresponding hydraulic type ends and fittings - no bulging.

/ Hydro Cooler again.. #10  
Darn,
Guess what happened to me last weekend.... Still cleaning fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Well, my AB Poxy + Tie Wraps got me to 260 hrs. A new search shows NH still hasn't done anything but apply a new part number.... Looks like the only way out is to drop it at a shop and have it customized..... Mmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif