Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #1  

sruman

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910
As always, this time of the year leads to endless "my FEL / Hyraulics" are not working. I'm adding to the pile....LOL...

The symtoms: Ford 1910 starts up, but the hydraulics are very slow, and literally inoperatable when I first start it up. Nothing (although power steering is fine).
After warming up for a good 20 minutes, I get just a little bit of movement, enough to get it off the ground and move the tractor. Still slower than a snail's crawl.

Can you use a lighter weight hyd fluid? Any issues with this particular tractor? How do you test the pump? Even in the summer time, the hydraulics work ok, but still not great (I always assumed it was just the way it was). In the summer, it takes a good 10-12 seconds to raise the FEL the whole way.

Is there any way to test the hydraulic pump? Other suggestions, ideas? Are magnetic block heaters recommended?

Thanks. It's starting to get cold in central PA.

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #2  
First, you should install the correct fluid for your climate and tractor specs.

You could do a flow and pressure test if you had all the parts, but most all dealers have the tools to do the flow and pressure test.

Are all of your filters clean and correct.

Do you know the pumps GPM and pressure settings?

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW
not sure about the pressure settings, but it is spec'd at 8.6 gpm.

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #4  
There could be a metal screen (strainer) on the tractor. If this hasn't been cleaned in a while it could be clogged and is the cause of most slow hyd systems in the older tractors and some new ones

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #5  
follow the main hyd line back to the housing and it should be inline with the system inside a tube that the line bolts to.

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #6  
The Ford XX10 series were known to be slow when new. If you have a clogged filter, might never lift.

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #7  
Is your diverter valve in the 11 o’clock position?

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW
Diverter valve 11 o'clock: Check
Filter: check

The hyd is very slow, yet my power steering is working good even at start up. Is the issue the line to the "diverter assembly"?

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW
Is it worth noting that I'm using a Baldwin BT230 filter?

/ Hydraulics SLOOOWWWW #10  
1. Is the 3 point hitch slow as well?
2. Does the loader speed improve when the 3 point is lowered?
3. Is there any noise within the hydraulic system?

Mike