Oil & Fuel synthetic oil

/ synthetic oil #1  

sawash

Hi there first time writing a question but long time reading. I have a NH tc30. I have always used 15w40 oil as recommended by my dealer. I want to switch to synthetic oil. Is 5w40 synthetic the equivalent of 15w40 conventional?

/ synthetic oil #2  
Yes - many threads on this on Oil/Fuel/Lubricants Forum...............

/ synthetic oil #3  
Is 5w40 synthetic the equivalent of 15w40 conventional?
No. 5w40 synthetic is the equivalent of 5w40 conventional.

/ synthetic oil #4  
Mike - I wasn't being literal.....suspected OP wanted to know if he could use Syn 5W-40 in place of 15W40 mineral, and the answer is yes of course - it is a better oil.

I spent years in the field interpreting questions into what the questioner was really wanting to know.

Rgds,

DM

/ synthetic oil
On mobil one website they say to use 5w40 synthetic in place of conventional 1 5w40. Even at Napa I was told the same. I don't see 1 5w40 synthetic on shelves. I just wanted make sure I'm doing the right thing.

/ synthetic oil #6  
There is no 15W40 synthetic. 5W40 synthetic would be a bit thinner than 15W40 in hot weather, but since synthetic runs cooler, it would be a wash. I have been considering such a switch myself.

/ synthetic oil #7  
I would also think the engine oil change could go from 100 hours to 200 hours, with synthetic oil. Which means it could be quite cost effective.

/ synthetic oil #8  
I use the same oil in my Ventrac mainly cause I blow snow with it and it gets cold here.

/ synthetic oil #9  
There is no 15W40 synthetic. 5W40 synthetic would be a bit thinner than 15W40 in hot weather, but since synthetic runs cooler, it would be a wash. I have been considering such a switch myself.

How does synthetic oil 'run cooler"? I thought engine/oil temp was regulated by the radiator coolant system?

/ synthetic oil #10  
On mobil one website they say to use 5w40 synthetic in place of conventional 1 5w40. Even at Napa I was told the same. I don't see 1 5w40 synthetic on shelves. I just wanted make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I just did my 50 hr. service. I used 5W40 Delo synthetic. Bought it at WM. They had 3 brand names of 5W40 synthetic. Auto parts also have it.