Tires Front tire chains NH tc-45a

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a #1  

Ling1976

Tractor
NH TC45a
Has anyone attempted to put chains on their front r4 tires for a tc 35,40,45 new holland tractor? Any advice or help or ideas would be much appreciated.

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a #2  
I have an LS XR3037HC which is comparable to a Boomer 37. I run standard 4 link ladder chains on the rear 43X16-20 R4's and 4 link Vbars on the front 25X8.5-14 R4's. The Vbars give better grip on hard pack snow and ice. Tractor weighs about 5500# and rears are loaded. I use a QA 7'6" snow pusher and a QA 7'6" power angle plow.

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a #3  
I run front chains on my TC40 gear tractor R4's all winter. They are v-bar ladder style. Scroll down almost half way on this link to see them:
tractor tire chains for farm tractors

Good info there on installation too. Mine go on very easy. Pop the front wheels off the ground with the FEL, hook the backside (inside) of the chain first, then the outside. I use a circular rubber bungee on the outside that has 5 hooks to attach to the chain, that takes up the slack and holds tension on the chain. It's quick and easy.

On concrete or asphalt v-bar chains may mark some. I have a gravel drive. I use 4wd only when I need to, the chains help a lot for steering on icy stuff in 2wd too.

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a
Thank you George and Dave for the information and the link on where to buy them. Takes the guesswork out of trying to find the right chain and if they will work. I was concerned about running chains on the front and clearing the tie rods but it seems the ladder style v- bar 2 link spacing will work. Thanks again. Chad

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a #5  
Pop the front wheels off the ground with the FEL, hook the backside (inside) of the chain first, then the outside.

Awesome advantage of front mounted chains!

I have rear 4 link ladder chains that I'm not too fond of, and will purchase some v-bar chains in the future for my front tires. It's nice you can use them when you need them, but drop into 2wd when you don't. I see the big advantage would be the convenience of putting them on and taking them off with the ability of lifting the front end.

Dave,
I contacted the web site you gave me and the salesperson recommended a European chain but I was concernerned about clearance especially with the tie rod ends. Do you run a spacer on your front tires? Or is there enough clearance using the ladder style chain? I wanted to ask you or anyone else if there is enough clearance? Thanks, Chad

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a #7  
Dave,
I contacted the web site you gave me and the salesperson recommended a European chain but I was concernerned about clearance especially with the tie rod ends. Do you run a spacer on your front tires? Or is there enough clearance using the ladder style chain? I wanted to ask you or anyone else if there is enough clearance? Thanks, Chad

No spacers. I have plenty of space inside the front wheel for my ladder style chains. The chain that the ladders connect to (the chain that runs around the tire sidewall) isn't heavy chain, maybe 3/16" diameter. On mine, there is no tensioning latch/binder lever on the inside, just a simple hook. The binder is on the outside of the tire where space is no issue.

I bought my chains about six years ago at a local outfit; Canadian Chain. I have no idea where they bought them or any brand name for the fronts. I think they only make up their own heavy-duty chains for skidders/forwarders and such. My rear chains were made by a Norwegian company; Tellefsdal. Those look identical to the Trygg chains others have posted pics of.

I really appreciate the help Dave. I will get the Ladder chains and ask the salesman if the chain on the inside what the diameter is. Maybe I should first check locally with the new holland dealer and see what they steer people toward. I know that your chains work because we have the same tractor. I know this may seem like a small thing. I just want to get it right.

/ Front tire chains NH tc-45a #9  
I measured the outer chain links this evening, it's 1/4" stock. I see no clearance issues on my 2003 model. The only part that comes within 2" is the joint where the steering tie rod connects to the right front pitman arm and I've never had issues there, there isn't anyway it's going to get any closer because the chains are snug against the tire sidewall.

I'm not sure why the salesperson was worried about clearance on the front. Sometimes sales people make things up to match what they have in stock or would rather sell. Just sayin'.

For the rear, with no spacers and the wheels set narrow, clearance for heavy chains is very tight. I removed the inside safety or splash guards (not sure what their intent is) on the rear wheels for chain clearance. Finally, I could actually see what is going on under my tractor--which matters when out working in the woods and for mounting my subframe backhoe. I didn't realize how much those things blind you. Good riddance. :D I still get a little rub now and then on the fenders but I wanted to keep my narrow wheel setting. Going wide may just move the rub to the other side of the fender anyways unless there is a fender spacer too.

Thanks again Dave
I removed my inner splash guards as well and you can see better. I ordered the chains and they will be here in about 3 days. I will keep you posted when I put them on and try em out.
I have double ring chains on the rear tires. It's tight and they do rub sometimes. Only on the inner fenders which should solve that. The chains came with the tractor when I bought it. After that I am going to look into those Swedish chains you mentioned or the trygg? Sorry about the delay been working a lot these past few days.