Adjusting valves on FORD 1720

/ Adjusting valves on FORD 1720 #1  

BarnieTrk

Silver Member
Tractor
1989 Ford 1720 (4x4) diesel-powered
Hi Fellas,

My '89 FORD 1720 4x4 Owner's Manual says to check (& adjust if necessary) the valves every 600 hours.
It has the 3-cyl Shibaura diesel engine. The tractor has logged 3,135 hours of operation.

Considering that the previous owner primarily just fueled and greased the tractor, (I've only put 1I hours on it) I'm betting the valve clearances has never been checked - but to the tractor's credit - it starts & runs fine - currently.

Now this check/adjustment is explained in the Owner's Manual, but is this task really something a novice mechanic can accomplish or should I plan to have a diesel mechanic / dealer perform this check/adjustment? :confused:

How many of you guys do this check/adjustment yourselves every 600 hours? :confused:

Thanks in Advance for any & all suggestions, thoughts and advice, Guys! :drink:

BarnieTrk :)

/ Adjusting valves on FORD 1720
Fellas, I'm surprised at this thread.....
LOTS of lookers, but not even ONE comment, thought or peep from anyone? :confused2: :confused3: :anyone:
BarnieTrk :confused:

/ Adjusting valves on FORD 1720 #3  
I just looked at this procedure in the service manual for my TC29D since it is nearing the 600 hour mark. If the valve cover isn't hard to get off it looks like a straightforward job. I am also not sure what the access is like to turn the engine over by hand. You'll need a good feeler gauge - step type is the best but not necessary. A dial indicator is the most accurate way to make sure your piston is at TDC (Top dead center) where the adjustment must be made.

From my experience with cars it is best to make this adjustment with the engine as warm as practical.

Valve clearance adjustment.JPG

/ Adjusting valves on FORD 1720 #4  
Barnie,
My 1920 has just bit more hours than yours. Been thinking about adjusting mine also. Did you get to yours?

tantoy,

I have not.

My tractor has been doing a LOT of 'sleeping' under the shed roof these days...one reason is because it was -1*F here this morning. I was hoping to get some hands-on info here before looking into this issue closer once Spring gets here and it warms up some around here.

BarnieTrk :cool2:

/ Adjusting valves on FORD 1720 #6  
If it's not broke...

If it's not broke...

.......and I'm a BIG FAN of your philosophy, FHB!

When these machines get to be over 25yrs old, I hesitate to start ripping into them because experience has taught me that sometimes the old wire connections, old rusty bolts, etc. produce more work than the original project was 'scheduled' for....

BarnieTrk