3-Point Hitch Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #1  

snowcrash

Tractor
nh tl90a, ford 5000, mf 231, ford 2000 & 4000 and some others
Hey everybody,

We bought a 94 3930 tractor in Oct. 2013 and it has been great for the most part. It has a Woods loader on the front of it and we are using the rear lift now to roll out hay for the cows with the hay unroller.

Our issue is that the lift arms will not hold the hay unroller up anymore when it sits over night since it will always be sitting on the ground the next day. It doesn't go down right after cutting the tractor off but it does at some point. I'm thinking it slowly goes and isn't a big sudden drop.

When we first hooked the hay unroller up, it was holding it but has been getting worse to the point that it doesn't hold at all anymore. The lift seems to work just fine during operation though.

Just wondering, what would cause this, what is needed to fix it and how hard is it to fix it? If it isn't too bad to fix, is there any instructions to help fix it? We want to think there is an o-ring or something gone bad somewhere that is allowing lift pressure to leak down during the night.

Any help would be appreciated, Happy Holidays,
Charlie

Last edited:
   / Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #2  
snowcrash

Just wondering, what would cause this, what is needed to fix it and how hard is it to fix it? If it isn't too bad to fix, is there any instructions to help fix it? We want to think there is an o-ring or something gone bad somewhere that is allowing lift pressure to leak down during the night.

Answer:

This is fairly common, as seals wear, and fluid bypasses the piston.

This can also be caused by the spool leaking due to wear.

You can replace cyl seals, but spool wear needs a valve replacement as there is no replacement for precision spools.

A new loader valve should cost about $250 to $350.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night.
Just to clarify, the loader holds up fine, but it's the rear lift arms that fall to the ground.

Back to your response, thanks, but where is the cylinders that hold the seals that can be replaced. Also, where is the spool valve(loader valve I guess some call it) located and would you happen to have a diagram or part number for it?

If you had to pick one though, would you do the seals first and then the valve or both?

Also, the tractor has a single set of remotes on the tractor but they seem to work just fine.

I just don't know where to start to look for these or how hard it is but with some guidance I'm sure it can be done.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #4  
You were given a Lot of good info to this same question over on yesterdays tractors.
Did you go back and read it?

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #5  
Here is a thing I see everyone writing about . Back in the 70s most if not all tractors had a built in safety feature built in . It is the hydraulic 3 point hitch leak down.It was for saving the hitch and folks from getting hurt by a collapsing hitch.My 73 Ford 4000 has it .As well as Deere and MFs I have used.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #6  
Thee are two reasons for the 3pt lift arms to fall.

Worn seals on the 3pt cyl, or the 3pt valve leaking or both.

Valve not in neutral.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #7  
Here is a thing I see everyone writing about . Back in the 70s most if not all tractors had a built in safety feature built in . It is the hydraulic 3 point hitch leak down.It was for saving the hitch and folks from getting hurt by a collapsing hitch.My 73 Ford 4000 has it .As well as Deere and MFs I have used.

'There was no safety feature like that ever "built in" on a Ford - at least not from 1939 through the 80s.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #8  
'There was no safety feature like that ever "built in" on a Ford - at least not from 1939 through the 80s.

That is one sharp tractor in your avatar.

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #9  
That is one sharp tractor in your avatar.

Thanks. I sold that tractor. sniff, sniff.
But I used the $ to buy my gal a ring.
It was a good trade off. :)
Also, a regular ag model was a little too big for my purposes - too tall, too long.
I'm just about finished building a 4400 to take it's place. 4400 is the same chassis and drive train but is shorter and lower to the ground. Should serve my needs better,

100_1831.jpg

/ Ford 3930 Lift arms don't hold over night. #10  
All most all tractors will behave like this after a while and its not a good idea to leave implements in the air as its a dangerous practice, worst case is two small children finds the tractor an jumps on, one under the load and his friend moves the leaver...