Backhoe ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running #1  

snoleopard

Tractor
Ford 550 backhoe
Hi

I am new to the forum.

I have a ford 550 backhoe and had a local mechanic change a worn out clutch disc to solve a problem of the backhoe not moving [clutch was truly worn out], but after the change the backhoe the gears now refuse to shift once you start the engine. I believe the mechanics here just don't have a clue as to what to do.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running #2  
It sounds like the clutch might not be adjusted correctly. What transmission do you have in the tractor?

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running #3  
Either the clutch might not be adjusted properly as was mentioned or clutch disc was installed the wrong way.

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running
its manual one

To pmsmechanic

I did some research and asked the various mechanics who have attempted to fix the backhoe some questions and most said the same thing. However I just don't trust their ability as the backhoe is currently located in Ghana where I shipped it to build a ski slope [yup please don't be surprised, to confirm that I am not mad please google my full name KWAME NKRUMAH ACHEAMPONG]. So I am really at a loss as to what to do. I am currently here in Ghaan due back in the UK by March and was hoping to advance with the project as its part charity and part business aimed at developing a fully fledged ski team]. So as much help as you can give would be appreciated, thanks

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running #6  
To pmsmechanic

I did some research and asked the various mechanics who have attempted to fix the backhoe some questions and most said the same thing. However I just don't trust their ability as the backhoe is currently located in Ghana where I shipped it to build a ski slope [yup please don't be surprised, to confirm that I am not mad please google my full name KWAME NKRUMAH ACHEAMPONG]. So I am really at a loss as to what to do. I am currently here in Ghaan due back in the UK by March and was hoping to advance with the project as its part charity and part business aimed at developing a fully fledged ski team]. So as much help as you can give would be appreciated, thanks

Ok so lets start at the beginning. I'm going to just go through things so we are all on the same page.

The clutch on the tractor was worn out completely so the tractor was split and a new one installed. After the tractor was put back together the transmission won't shift while the motor is running but can be shifted into gear when the motor is stopped. To me this is a clear indication that the clutch disc was installed with the wrong side towards the flywheel. There is no way to fix this without taking the tractor all apart and redoing the job. You might have to go there and supervise but I see no other way. This is all assuming that the tractor was put back together the way it came apart as far as the clutch linkages etc.

I have made this same mistake myself. It's easy enough to do. If you could trust the mechanics to do the job the first time I'm sure they can do it right the second time. They just need to have somebody explain to them what needs to be done and what to look for.

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running #7  
Ok so lets start at the beginning. I'm going to just go through things so we are all on the same page.

The clutch on the tractor was worn out completely so the tractor was split and a new one installed. After the tractor was put back together the transmission won't shift while the motor is running but can be shifted into gear when the motor is stopped. To me this is a clear indication that the clutch disc was installed with the wrong side towards the flywheel. There is no way to fix this without taking the tractor all apart and redoing the job. You might have to go there and supervise but I see no other way. This is all assuming that the tractor was put back together the way it came apart as far as the clutch linkages etc.

I have made this same mistake myself. It's easy enough to do. If you could trust the mechanics to do the job the first time I'm sure they can do it right the second time. They just need to have somebody explain to them what needs to be done and what to look for.

I agree with pmsmechanic as one possibility. The other possibility, also requiring splitting the tractor, is that the pressure plate is not correctly adjusted. Even new pressure plates are advised to be checked for proper adjustment before installation even though they are preadjusted.

Was the throwout bearing replaced? Is the throwout fork in good shape and tight on the shaft? Just questions that need to be asked and require splitting again for inspection/repair.

This all assumes that the linkage is alright and adjustment to the linkage has been tried.

Also, since it will most likely be split open again, were the 3 freeze plugs on the back of the engine replaced? Many times they corrode and start leaking, so now is the time to renew.

Okay - can I get any diagrams to study or a video from one of you guys who might have done a similar thing before. I am not serious mechanic but I am handy with a spanner and other tools. But I prefer to have some trust worthy mechanics working on the backhoe. Cash is tight now but if I could I would invite one of you who would be willing to fly over on a working holiday to help me. During the first replacement done the chap who replaced the disk seems to have lost on of the 4 springs that clamp the round metal disk in the middle of the clutch assembly in this picture FORD NEW HOLLAND VARIOUS MODELS - LUK CLUTCH ASSEMBLY - VPG1023 | eBay

The next pair of mechanics who came and split the engine from the gearbox realised this but told me the clutch mechanism would be okay with one less of the 4 springs. Its this attitude that bothers me and I am very wary as to if most of the mechanics here can do a good job without damaging the machine.

I agree with pmsmechanic as one possibility. The other possibility, also requiring splitting the tractor, is that the pressure plate is not correctly adjusted. Even new pressure plates are advised to be checked for proper adjustment before installation even though they are preadjusted.

Was the throwout bearing replaced? Is the throwout fork in good shape and tight on the shaft? Just questions that need to be asked and require splitting again for inspection/repair.

This all assumes that the linkage is alright and adjustment to the linkage has been tried.

Also, since it will most likely be split open again, were the 3 freeze plugs on the back of the engine replaced? Many times they corrode and start leaking, so now is the time to renew.

Tractor Tech, you obviously are an expert when it comes to this stuff. As much as I am not a layman at getting oil on my hands or making use of hand tools. Some of the techy words you have used have completely thrown me. However I will begin researching into the items you and pmsmechanic

it would be nice if I could have a quick drawing of the arrangement of the clutch assembly and the linkages etc. That way I will be on hand to point out things to the next mechanic I am engaging to fix the truck.

ANY TAKERS FOR A HOLIDAY IN GHANA IN THE NEAR FUTURE IF I CANT FIND A GOOD MECH IN TIME?:)

/ ford 550 backhoe not changing gear when engine is running #10  
Tractor Tech, you obviously are an expert when it comes to this stuff. As much as I am not a layman at getting oil on my hands or making use of hand tools. Some of the techy words you have used have completely thrown me. However I will begin researching into the items you and pmsmechanic

it would be nice if I could have a quick drawing of the arrangement of the clutch assembly and the linkages etc. That way I will be on hand to point out things to the next mechanic I am engaging to fix the truck.

ANY TAKERS FOR A HOLIDAY IN GHANA IN THE NEAR FUTURE IF I CANT FIND A GOOD MECH IN TIME?:)
I will get you the service section within a day for you.
As far as Ghana goes, let's see how the repair goes. I have an AFS (American Foreign Exchange) brother from Ghana now living in Oakland, California I will have to consult with first.