Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no?

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #1  

BarnieTrk

Silver Member
Tractor
1989 Ford 1720 (4x4) diesel-powered
Hi Fellas,

I've been working a little at a time to replace all the fluids in my new-to-me 1989 FORD 1720 4x4. I recently drained and refilled both front axle final gear reduction cases. It's only been a couple of weeks since the fluid change and then yesterday, I see that there is nice, clean fluid leaking out of both cases.

Each case is apparently leaking from it oil seal (see #12 oil seal; Go to: Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors. ; (1720) - 3 CYL COMPACT TRACTOR 20 SERIES (1/87-4/02) > (03C03) - FRONT DIFFERENTIAL GEARS, 4WD for the exploded diagram).

So my question is:
Can I change out these oil seals, without a bearing press or other specialty tools on hand?

I do have hand tools and I'm normally handy enough with them. But if specialty tools are required to perform this repair, I'll likely need to take it to a shop.......

Thanks for any and all advice, Guys! :drink:

BarnieTrk :cool2:

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #2  
I have a 1992 1720 and love it. I also have a small leak in front axel.

Hopefully someone can answer the question...

Thanks,
Roman

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #3  
I have a 1992 1720 and love it. I also have a small leak in front axel.

Hopefully someone can answer the question...

Thanks,
Roman
Changed the seals on my Ford 1920 over 15 years ago. Sorry I don't remember all of the details except that it was not too bad a job but had to borrow a press.

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #4  
morning Guys

might try a seal sweller, my heavy equipment wrench says they work he uses gunk brand products

greg

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #5  
I'm not sure which seal you think is leaking?? Take some pics of your tractor, pointing to the leak and then we'll figure it out.

I just finished putting seals in my 3910 front axle but it's built different than yours.

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #6  
morning Guys

might try a seal sweller, my heavy equipment wrench says they work he uses gunk brand products

greg

That's interesting, Greg. I never knew of such stuff. Tell me more...

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #7  
Replacing front axle hub and swivel seals on NH compacts isn't a big deal. I used to do them on site all the time when I was doing road service. A properly sized seal driver, or something that can be used as one is the only requirement other than common hand tools. The seals are cassette style, so are sensitive to damage during installation when compared to common lip seals.

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #8  
That's interesting, Greg. I never knew of such stuff. Tell me more...

there are parts store products that claim to stop seal leaks by condititioning and swelling seal rubber. My mechanic uses gunk brand and claims success ive used a few times and it seems to work well somtimes not so much on other things . i use it first and then fix later if needed

Greg

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #9  
there are parts store products that claim to stop seal leaks by condititioning and swelling seal rubber. My mechanic uses gunk brand and claims success ive used a few times and it seems to work well somtimes not so much on other things . i use it first and then fix later if needed

Greg

Thank you. I did not know that. That's what I will do next time and it may buy a little more time or money.

/ Leaky front axle seals; Big job or no? #10  
Used something similar in my 3910 Ford engine oil for rear main seal. Had no change, still leaked.