Boomer 3045 Steering

/ Boomer 3045 Steering #1  

14stan

Tractor
2011 New Holland Boomer 3045 / Loader
2011 Boomer 3045, CVT, cab, super steer, loader purchased last summer with 1085 hrs. Love the tractor and what is capable of doing. Still getting used to it.
Now to my question, when driving at road speeds or over 10 mph the tractor swerves right to left continuously. In summer it was noticeable but now in winter it seems to be worse. I don't want to drive over 15 mph because of the constant corrections required to keep the tractor on the road. I try not to over correct but if I don't I am headed for one ditch or the other. This wondering is severe not just a little to the right or left. This constant correction is still there at working speeds but it is not as noticeable. At higher speeds I would like to lock out the super steering option but due to the design I don't believe this is possible.
Has anyone with a boomer tractor with super steer had this issue? Is it alignment related? Up here there are not many boomer tractors around. I have not called a dealer about this but when I have about other minor issues I quite often get silence on the other end of the line while the service rep is trying collect his thoughts.
First time posting on this forum so if I don't have this in the right place move it or let me know where to move this topic.
TIA
Stan

/ Boomer 3045 Steering #2  
My owner's manual describes how to adjust the front axle toe-in on a non-super steer axle. A mark is placed on the inside of the front tires at mid height, that distance measured, the tractor rolled ahead 1/2 rotation and measured again. The rear width should be 0" to 13/64" greater than the front measurement (0 to a slight toe-in). But, first I would start by either jacking up the front axle or using the front end loader to elevate the front axle and shaking the front tires left and right to see if you have any loose steering components. Keep in mind the two large pivot bearings behind and above and below the axle. The lower one is the point where the long linkage from mid-tractor attaches to the axle and the other is below the front engine output pulley. Those are sometimes damaged by overloading the loader. An indication of damage would be the axle shifting as raised off the floor. Address those issued first before attempting an alignment.

The non-super steer toe-in is adjusted by lengthening or shortening the single tie rod between the two wheels. Obviously, the super steer axle is a whole 'nother animal. With no guide to refer to, the following are my suggestions as to where to start. If the components are tight, I would start with a 2' carpenter's square to confirm that the axle is at right angles to the frame. Once it is, the tires should also be parallel or nearly parallel to the frame. If not, the short linkages on either side would be adjusted to bring each tire to nearly parallel and then work towards to 0 to 13/64" toe-in with a slight adjustment on both sides.

I think you will find the issue is a worn or broken component. I have read stories on TBN of the four bolts below the output pulley either being lost, broken or loose. Good luck. ht and welcome to TBN

Last edited:
   / Boomer 3045 Steering
Halftrack, Thanks for the response. It will be a few days before I can take a look at the tractor and check out the front end. I don't have a heated shop right now either so when the stars align with milder temperature and time I will do some investigating.
Stan