Hydraulic system requirements?

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #1  

dylan

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat B series
Just wondering if anyone knows off hand, how much NH 134 hydraulic oil is required to bring the mark on the dipstick from low to high? I am running a NH TC33D. Hydro tranny.
This would include the transmission, rear axle and hydraulic system sump. It is located at the rear of the tractor, above the 3ph. Also can be found on page 3-12 in the manual. The whole system holds 33.3L (8.8 gal).

Mine seems to be leaking pretty bad and I was wondering how many litres it has lost.

Thanks
Dylan

/ Hydraulic system requirements?
and ... I figured it out. Approximately 3 or 4 litres to top up the dipstick.
Anyone else leaking this much fluid in 100 hrs?

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #3  
When I first got my TC18 I lost almost that much in fewer hours, then I found the leak -- where the fittings attach to the joystick for the FEL. There's not much room for a wrench, and I had to disconnect a couple to get at the others to tighten them, then tightened the ones I had disconnected. No leaks and no losses since -- but I never did get around to putting the pretty plastic cover back over the fittings.

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #4  
Dylan, where are you leaking that much fluid? Can you see it drip? My tractor doesn't leak a drop. I think your loss is very, very abnormal. If it's leaking that much now, how much is it gonna leak in two or three years? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #5  
My tractor was leaking at the junction of the rigid and flex hoses. The hose clamps were way too loose. After tightening those up Ive not had anymore leaks. One was esp bad and occured this winter when the fluid was very thick and hard to pump.

I was thinking a couple of years down the road too. It does not seem to be leaking from any one place. The whole tranny is covered in oil and of course the dirt sticks to it. This is how I noticed it. After crawling underneath, there was no one place but it was actually running down the tractor and dripping from the bottom drain plug. (lowest point) I tightened it but the leaks are actually higher up.
The fill opening seems to have some white stuff. Would this be water in the system? From the leaks?
Thanks
Dylan

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #7  
Dylan, I'd wipe the case clean and then watch closely to see if I could determine the source of the leak. If it's internal, it could just be a plumbing connection, or it could be a seal. How many hours do you have on your tractor? Is it due to be serviced soon? I sure hope you have some warranty help to get this checked/fixed.

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #8  
This sounds EXACTLY like the first leak I had. The radiator screen slowly collected dirt caused by leaking fluid. It really wasnt at all obvious where it was coming from either b/c there are a few connections in that area. Finally, after some use, the flex hose going into the cooler started dripping. (Prior to that it was a fine spray which would stop when the system wasnt pressurized). The fix was simple...just tighten the hose clamps (which were very loose). After that I cleaned all the dirt/fluid up so I could determine if I really got it stopped. As I mentioned previously the 2nd leak was pretty easy b/c it dripped out a lot of fluid and the flex hose connection was where I could see it when running.

jinman has it right...clean *everything* up really good and start the hunt from there. If you know its coming from up above Id locate all the possible trouble spots, start the engine and have a look. Also use a piece of cardboard to probe for leaks....NOT your fingers. I bet youll find it this way.

Thanks for the replies. I've got 198 hrs but we are expecting 4 days of snow so I will be up to about 240 in the next week.
I will clean it up and try to determine exactly where it is coming from.
On another note; where is the warranty policy? Not in the manual. Not on the reciept. I bought it July 30, 2003.
One year? Two? Or a certain number of hours?
I'll call the dealer first thing in the morning.
The emissions warranty is in the manual for some reason.
Dylan

/ Hydraulic system requirements? #10  
Good luck finding the leaks. Mine has had a bunch of leaks from lots of different places. I even started a thread about it to see if others were having the same trouble. Look for the one titled Leaky, Leaky TC33D.

Jay