50 hour service - Cost of fluids and filters?

/ 50 hour service - Cost of fluids and filters? #1  

SacandagaBrad

Gold Member
Tractor
TC24D
I just had the 50 hour service done on my TC24D and was a little surprised to see the prices of the oil and filters. They replaced fuel, oil, and hydraulic (2) filters, changed the oil, added what appears to be 3 quarts of hydraulic fluid, and went through all the grease fittings, checked nuts and bolts, etc. Invoice says the air filters checked out OK. Total for fluids and filters was $83, $50 of which is in the 2 hydraulic filters. Does this sound about right?

The service (labor and house call) was included in the purchase price, and they came to the house rather than transport the tractor. The dealer has been great and I'm certainly not going to complain. I was just a little shocked at the prices and think I will be doing some shopping for the next service as I will probably do it myself.

Brad

/ 50 hour service - Cost of fluids and filters? #2  
<font color="blue"> Does this sound about right? </font>
Yep.

/ 50 hour service - Cost of fluids and filters? #3  
Be careful using off brand hydraulic filters. I have experience with a major brand 'will fit' filter that is too restricitve which causes problematic symptoms. I firmly believe the best use of hydraulic filter dollars is using OEM filters changed at the proper intervals; not sooner. I also have observed that as soon as a 'will fit' cross reference is listed for a given OEM filter, the price of that OEM filter seems to go down.

/ 50 hour service - Cost of fluids and filters? #4  
Brad
Wait until you have to change the air filters. The outer is over $40 and the inner is more expensive, I believe around $60. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Solo

/ 50 hour service - Cost of fluids and filters? #5  
Brad, that first service is always a shock because of filter cost, but when you figure it's another 300 hr before those filters need changing, it helps to soothe the "pain" of that first shock. Your engine oil filter gets changed the most and it's not that expensive (around $9) compared to the hydraulic filters. If you pay close attention to your recommended service intervals and follow that schedule, your costs for filters will be far less than other costs like oils/fluids/fuel. I always recommend you stick with the New Holland filters at least until your warranty period is up. The third-party filters might be just as good or even better, but I know if I have the proper New Holland filters, there will never be a question about them for warranty claims. After the warranty is gone, then filters, add-ons and modifications to the tractor are far more practical since there is no warranty risk. ...just my $0.02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif