TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability?

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #1  

bigoar

Brand New here. Great advise and knowlegable participants. I hope I can tap into some opinions/experineces regarding my decision between a used 03, 100hrs TC45D w/ 16LA or used 1999 340 hrs 2120 Woods 1020 FEL w/ HSS. I previously owned a 1920 w/ mech SS and never had a mechanical, electrical etc problem but want more HP. After reading through the nite about the TC's and the variety of problems from Hydrodrive, to steering column, joystick, electrical problems etc., on relatively new tractors /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm a bit disillusioned about the 45D. Anyone agree? I've got a decision to make ASAP and hope someone can offer info to help. Thanks in advance!

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #2  
Tough question. There's lots of user friendly features on the 45D, like the electronic range shift, NH's handy joystick (in spite of its breakage problems - which NH now has fixed), to the great seating and visibility. However, my 40D now is sticking and one of the steps just broke off! I'd say, if you really do a lot of going from forward to reverse, the HSS, as nice as it is, is just not as convenient as the 40D hydro. It you don't do this a lot, I'd go with the 2120.

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #3  
I'd go with the 2120. I've had a 2120 since 1987 and haven't had many problems and it's been worked hard. The 2120 HSS is a good transmission and quite a step up from the 1920 trans you have. The 2120 itself is much more tractor than a 1920. It is also a considerably larger frame than the TC45. To be comparable to the 2120 you have to look at the TC48 or TC55. The 2120 was one of Ford/ New Holland's most popular models and as my dealer who sold many of them each year likes to say it is the only tractor in the compact line that feels like a real tractor when you're using it. The dealers I've spoken to were not happy when New Holland dropped the 2120 and didn't replace it for quite a while as it left a big hole in the lineup. Don't worry about the hp difference between the TC45 and the 2120, you 'll never notice it and I don't think it is real anyway.

Andy

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability?
Thanks djradz. Your right I've been considering how much back and forth I'd be doing since the vast majority of my use will be finish mowing in the future, but mostly in long straight paths except for around my ponds. And your right, the newer bells and whistles and the R4 tires I also like so not to tear up turf when I finish mow. I guess if I go w/ the 2120, I'll look into turf tires to eliminate that problem.

I am fond of the TC45 high tech features, visibility and ease of operation. I think for me I began considering the TC 45 in lieu of the 2120 cause of the attraction of getting something
"newer, different or a change" whereas with the 2120 I sort of feel its like buying the same unit (tad larger) as the 1920.

A local dealer tells me that in the future I would most likely get more trade in $ for a TC45D as in my area (SW PA) most folks are heading to hydros.

Thanks AndyMA. May I ask what you mostly use your 2120 for and would you perfer or feel your missing out on the advantages of a hydro if a 2120 came equipped (I know the TC48 or 55's dont for now)?

I am glad to hear that you feel I would definitely see a difference in HP between the 1920 and 2120 and that the HP difference between the 45D and 2120 may not be as "REAL" as they post.

I wondered this myself cause I see that the actual displacement on the TC45 is 3+ CID less than the 2120 and I guess the TC'S extra HP over the 2120 is due to the higher 2600 rpm rating compaired to the 2120's HP @ 2500 rpm.

I have heard the 2120 was "bullet proof" and am always surprised that the owners like yourself get sooo many hrs on them before any problems. Here's hoping the loose bolts issue on the 2120 is resolved- I heard something about that and dont know if that was relevant to only certain year(s)? Do you know??

If I go w/ the 2120, I'll definitely look into turf tires since its heavier and most of my mowing is finish and I'd like to get as close to the house as possible.

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #6  
I've got a 1997 2120 with the shuttle shift. As far as forward and reversing a lot, I can't imagine how anything could be easier or faster than flipping that lever back and forth. I like this transmission, but if it had a hydro, I'm sure I'd like that too. I think you get used to what you have. If your mowing is going to call for a lot of speed changes, the hydro might be better for you. You might want to check into and try out the different loaders on the tractors, and see how they compare.

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks AndyMA. May I ask what you mostly use your 2120 for and would you perfer or feel your missing out on the advantages of a hydro if a 2120 came equipped (I know the TC48 or 55's dont for now)?

I have heard the 2120 was "bullet proof" and am always surprised that the owners like yourself get sooo many hrs on them before any problems. Here's hoping the loose bolts issue on the 2120 is resolved- I heard something about that and dont know if that was relevant to only certain year(s)? Do you know??

If I go w/ the 2120, I'll definitely look into turf tires since its heavier and most of my mowing is finish and I'd like to get as close to the house as possible. )</font>

I have used my 2120 for many things, backhoeing, york raking, grader blade, box scraper, bush hogging, harley rock rake, snow blower, post hole digger, plowing, rototilling, wood chipping, logging with Farmi winch and it has never let me down. I also do a lot of loader work with bucket, forks, rock forks and grapple.

I have not had the loose bolt problem, and I've asked my dealer who sold between 12 and 25 per year about it and he has also not seen any more bolt loosing problem with the 2120 than any other model.

Personally having grown up on tractors I don't really like a hydro and given a chance I definately would not trade my 2120 for a hydro TC45. It is just not as much tractor. I've driven hydros and just don't see the advantage for an experienced operator. The HSS makes loader work very easy and I think it may be more efficient than with a hydro because the forward and reverse speeds are matched without any work.

As far as tires, I would go with R4's not turf. I had turfs on one tractor a few years back and found them useless for anything other than pure mowing. I run R1's on all my machines these days but they are too much for finish lawn mowing. If you think you must go turfs, take a look at Galaxy turfs. They don't chew into the lawn in turns like ordinary turfs.
I would not worry at all about the trade in difference between the 2120 and the TC45. I though about getting a TC45 when they came out and tried one out. It just wasn't the same class machine, the 2120, TC48 and TC55 are.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Andy

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #8  
I've got a 1920.. and I love it.. if i ever were to upgrade I would want the 2120.. everything a 1920 is plus more hp...

Soundguy

Seems everyone is pleased w/ their 20 series even w/ fewer bells and whistles.

Mark:
Sure put yours through its paces w/ a variety of demanding work, certainly more than I anticipate. I do have a pond I hope to drain and muck out but I told even the 2120 cant do a very good job in all the muck and a track unit may be required. Hoping to do some light excavating on a slope to put up an outbuilding.

I'm also hoping some teeth on the FEL will allow me to "pop" out some small tree stumps instead of investing into a backhoe which is pretty pricy (not may used around).

As for resale, guess I can deal w/ that when the time comes and hopefully there will always be a market for a heavier, conventional styled unit. It seems their more popular in the Ag community instead of the typical home owner or ranchette owner.

I'll check into the R-4's instead of turf. Not so concerned about the rear R-1's leaving marks as its the front that tears up, so perhaps I can just get R-4's or turfs for the front w/ the same rolling circumferance as the R-1's. I guess I'll still have to change the rims.

Does anyone know if its possible to get a less aggressive tread for the front using the same rims as the ag tires are mounted on?

thanks all

/ TC45D or 2120w/HHS 4 dependability, reliability? #10  
I just checked the comparable weights between the TC45D and the 2120, 4WD. The TC45d is 3,576# and the 2120 is 3,858#. That means the 2120 is less than 300# more than the TC45D. There are certainly some savings in weight on the TC because of the use of plastic hood and fenders, but the Boomer has an operator's platform that's heavier than the 2120. In my opinion these tractors are very close in size with the TC45 having the edge in horsepower and the 2120 having the edge in weight.

...just wanted to add what I've found. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif