TZ24DA Won't Start

/ TZ24DA Won't Start #1  

gofast4

Tractor
New Holland TZ-24
I have a TZ24DA that I really enjoy. Had a problem with a broken frame which lead to a cracked tranny case, which was kind of pricy to replace. Problem I'm having now is that I can't get it to start. In the past I have had to move the hi/lo handle to get the tractor to start. I did this yesterday and it ran fine, but today it will not go. Looking for the location of a safety switch that must work with the hi/lo handle, but can't seem to find it. I checked the fuse for the safety switches and that is fine. The relay clicks when I turn on the key, and if I move the pto lever I can hear the relay click and the light shows on the dash, but nothing when I work the hi/lo handle. Any ideas out there? Thanks!

/ TZ24DA Won't Start #2  
I can't really help on the starting issue, but could you go into details on the transmission and frame?

/ TZ24DA Won't Start
The good/bad news about the electrical issue is that I took the tractor to the dealer and of course, it started perfectly! They went through the wiring and didn't find anything that would cause the non-starting problem, so it runs again and I can get to work. The frame and transmission problem kind of go hand in hand. The frame broke on the left side, near the loader mount. I think the frame was cracked when I bought it, however it wasn't anything that was noticeable. I think the previous owner rode this tractor hard based on how dirty it was when I bought it. I didn't know that the frame had actually broken, except that I could feel a twist when I lifted the snow blower. I found the break when I was installing my mower and struck the oil filter, which caused a problem with the oil filter threaded pipe. I started having more leaks after fixing this, and in the mean time I had the frame repaired. The twisting from the frame break caused one of the ears on the transmission case where the frame bolts on to crack. We tried to weld the case but the cast iron didn't cooperate, so $4,600 later I had a new tranny case. Not a lot of fun and not cheap, but I do really like the tractor so hopefully this is the last of my bad luck.

/ TZ24DA Won't Start #4  
The hydro oil filter is really in a bad spot if you don't have a belly mower on. Mine took a hit on a stump that punctured the filter but luckily didn't hurt the filter mount. It made the 300hr service happen a little early, and
while laying in mud.

Last edited:
   / TZ24DA Won't Start
Something like that wouldn't happen in a dry, warm place!

/ TZ24DA Won't Start #6  
Actually it usually is dry and warm here in Georgia. We mainly get our rain in the winter, then wish for rain in the summer. Sometimes the only grass I have is bahiagrass. That stuff doesn't care how dry it gets.