Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch?

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #1  

dylan

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat B series
Tractor won\'t start. PTO safety switch?

For the last couple of days my TC33D has been very troublesome to start. The pto light seems to be always on and it takes a fair amount of wiggleing before it goes out and the tractor starts. So today after one hour of trying to start it I've come to ask the collective wisdom about a solution.
I've crawled underneath and found a safety switch by the transmission and pto levers but none of the bars were depressing it. I used a screwdriver to push it down but the light still did not go out. I pulled the fuse for the pto safety switch but it still did not go out. I disconnected the safety switch, still no start. I called the dealer, he said there was no way to bypass the switch and suggested that there might be moisture in switch that is not letting it move. He said to put a heat lamp out there for a while to free it. So far ... nothing.
Could I disconnect the switch and put a wire in it to bypass?
Should I consider ordering a new switching and switching them?
Other options?
Thanks
Dylan

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #2  
Re: Tractor won\'t start. PTO safety switch?

Well there's always a way to bypass the switch...but, that's rarely a good idea.

Question 1: Can you get a meter and check the switch. With the tractor off and the wires at the switch removed, probe the switch contacts. Disengage the PTO lever = switch resistance should be infinite ( no continuity ), engage the PTO lever = switch resistance should be = 0.

If the switch proves okay, have a look at your wiring diagram to see if there is a relay for the PTO safety circuit. This may be the problem. You can do the same deal on checking the contacts, but this time the key will need to be on the electrically pull in the relay. Cycle the lever and see if the contacts open and close.

Pulling the fuse ( that you think is the right one ) may not do it since the use of relays allows for split circuits.

Just be locgical...check the switch, the move along the circuit to the next device. A wiring diogramn is essential. It should be in your manual.

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #3  

On my 29 there is a bypass switch that you push and it will bypass the controls/safety switch. Now I am not sure if it will bypass the PTO but it does bypass the transmission for being in nuetral. Mine safety got out of whaack so everytime I went to start it I had to reach down there and push the lever up. This would allow you to start it one time and then once you shut it off again you had to get off the tractor and go behind and reach in again. Basically what you have to do is re-adjust the switches so they recognise the lever being in neutral or off.

The bypass is only for emergencys.

murph

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch?

Thanks for the replies. Murph, where is that bypass lever located? Directly under the tranny and pto levers?

Tc35dforme, I have a meter but I can't seem to engage the pto / or disengage it as the case may be to check for resistance. I will pull out that diagram though and giver a go. Just need to get it going so I can deliver it to the dealer for a host of repairs. Then he can fix any malfunctioning switch properly.

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #5  

<font color="blue">I have a meter but I can't seem to engage the pto / or disengage it as the case may be to check for resistance </font> Huh ??? Is this a mechanical issue or electrical ?? I assumed that the lever and linkage worked fine ?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #6  

On the back left side, look in where the levers come down and you will see a little roller. If the linkage is out of whaack you should be able to lift up on that roller and the magnet will then hold the switch in place. Messing with mine I found that it does not have anything to do with the PTO shafts. However going through my notes I did think my problem originally was the PTO levers but it was not. I was having trouble with the range selector. That is why it worked for me until my dealer was able to come out and make an adjustment.

murph

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch?

Well, I got it on the trailer after a few hours. Bypassed all the switches to get it started and on the trailer. Not the safest way but ...got the job done. It should be fixed properly tommorrow.

I did not see that roller you mentioned murph but mine had a rubber boot with a switch inside.

tc35dforme, if my engine is not running, I can't move the pto lever. I'll have the dealer look at that because it is hard to move at anytime anyway. Once I got it running, the pto safety switch light stayed on at all times, actually engaged or not. Could be the switch or an adjustment.
Thanks again for all the quick replies.

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #8  

murph, I've had a similar problem with my TC25D. Placing the range selector in the other neutral postion prior to shutting down allows me to restart the tractor without having to "manually" reset the cut off switch. Adjustment looks simple. Maybe couple nuts to loosen & reposition the "linkage" bar to reposition the "toothed cam". Wondering if maybe the white "plastic" roller/bushing might need replacing vs. adjusting the assembly. Waiting for Spring/Summer to deal with this little PITA.

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #9  

Had the same problem with my TC33D one day while brush hogging. The PTO light stayed on even after I had moved the lever to disengage. I tripped the PTO indicator switch a couple of times and the light stayed on. I then noticed that the wires running from the PTO switch had a couple of quick disconnects in them down on the side of the tranny. One of the quick connects was a little loose and that was the problem. I snugged up the disconnects and she started. I'd say the disconnects are there to allow the switch to be changed out more easily. My guess is that something had caught on the wire and partially unplugged it. You may have already tried the disconnects but I thought I'd relay my experience. Good luck.

/ Tractor won't start. PTO safety switch? #10  

I think my Kubota L2800DT has a PTO safety switch to. I'm not sure completely.

Terry