NH 1530 problem

/ NH 1530 problem #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
My neighbor has NH 1530 with low hours on it. He was bushogging with it and found that after about 3 hours the hydraulics stopped working. It is not a hydrostatic tractor. The next day it works fine for another 3 hours. Did that all week until the cutting was done.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
PS By hydraulics stop working I mean no bucket and no steering.

/ NH 1530 problem #2  
Are you sure the tractor is a 1530? The 1530 book shows a separate pump AND reservoir for steering, like most of the compacts New Holland sold. No connection to the hydraulic system, where a T1530 has a common suction supplying both hydraulic and steering pumps.
If it's a T1530 I would be looking for something in the suction piping. Possibly some issue with coupling hoses, hose clamps, inlet screen, maybe just the hydraulic filter needs changing. Strange that it takes three hours to develop though. Just personal opinion on the filter should you decide to replace it -- I would not go with an aftermarket filter to save the bucks, as the quality is usually proportional to the cost.

/ NH 1530 problem
Are you sure the tractor is a 1530? The 1530 book shows a separate pump AND reservoir for steering, like most of the compacts New Holland sold. No connection to the hydraulic system, where a T1530 has a common suction supplying both hydraulic and steering pumps.
If it's a T1530 I would be looking for something in the suction piping. Possibly some issue with coupling hoses, hose clamps, inlet screen, maybe just the hydraulic filter needs changing. Strange that it takes three hours to develop though. Just personal opinion on the filter should you decide to replace it -- I would not go with an aftermarket filter to save the bucks, as the quality is usually proportional to the cost.

He tells me that after 3 hrs the bucket slows down and gets real jerky and has trouble going up and down and he has to steer with the brakes. I have nopt seen it myself so I will get more info
I will check on the T1530 vs 1530. It has less than 30 hp so it must be a 1530 but I will clarify that
Thanks
Sorry 1510 does it make more sense now?

Last edited:
   / NH 1530 problem #4  
1510 makes for a whole new ball game. Only one pump, with a priority valve to provide separate flow for steering, which in this case is not just simple hydrostatic type. Jerky action could still be related to air in the system, but with all the added attractions, it makes trouble shooting a bit more difficult.

/ NH 1530 problem
Thanks Harry
Sorry about the misinformation about the model number. Think I was confusing the model with the horsepower and also did not listen good enough.
Any specific information I should gather to help analyze the problem?

/ NH 1530 problem #6  
If you're asking for my advice, my suggestion is to find someone local who understands the tractor's system. Unless there is someone reading and responding to this with some past experience with the same problem with the same system, anything you get will be no more than a guessing game. Lord knows there's plenty of that here. Once you get past the filters, hose clamps, oil levels, etc, you need to understand something about the system in order to trouble shoot. The symptoms you describe are more commonly seen with cold oil/tractors than after three hours use. A tired pump will usually just slowly fade out in performance as things warm up, not become jerky. That usually means the supply of oil TO the pump is uneven, restricted, aerated, or somehow impaired.

/ NH 1530 problem
that's where i guess we will go with this
thanks

/ NH 1530 problem #8  
This sounds like a plugged hydraulic oil pickup screen. .letting it sit,some of the debris Falls back into the sump,all is good until you have used it a few hours ..I'd look up where the suction/pickup screen is and start there remove and clean it,if it's clogged find out what's coming apart and deal with it before it happens again,if that's good I'd take it to a reputable local shop if your dealer isn't local or you aren't comfortable with them.

/ NH 1530 problem
Thanks RD
sounds like a good possibility

/ NH 1530 problem #10  
When the screen on my old 1700 would clog the hydrolics would bounce. It had manual steering, so my steering was not affected. I would check the screen or hydrolics filter if it has one.