NH 1630 questions

/ NH 1630 questions #1  

lovetohunt

Tractor
NH 1630
I just bought a New Holland 1630 with 1000 hours on it. I didn't get a manual with the tractor, but I have ordered one. Can someone tell me what type of oil is used in the front end? Is it gear oil, hydraulic oil, etc???? I got the tractor, 5 ft bush hog brand mower and 5ft blade with the tractor. Also, the fuel gauge doesn't work. Does this have a float in the tank or would it be a sensor? I paid $6500 for it. I think I did ok. Any help would be appreciated!

/ NH 1630 questions #2  
New Holland 134 hydraulic oil in the front axle, power steering and transmission/hydraulics. There's a float in the fuel tank.

/ NH 1630 questions #3  
I've always used 90w gear oil in my front axle. That is what my Ford manual calls for. 4765 hours on it and 32 years of service. I have seen that a lot of people here use Hydro fluid in that axle which if specified should be fine. I just feel better with a thicker lube on on slow moving, differential type gears as found in a 4wd front axle.

/ NH 1630 questions #4  
I'd go with the NH 134 hydraulic oil. Messicks New Holland Parts | Messick's for parts. They are quick, have diagrams, and sell the manual recommended parts.

I bought my tractor used. Had it 3+ years. I use it year round - summer winter. I'd start with a fluid, filter change to catch the stuff that someone let slip. I just find it easier to go to a NH dealer about an hour away once a year and get what I need. If I need something before then- I order it online. Arrives in 3-5 days. The NH dealership is the only place that knows what it is selling, but there is another NH dealer further south, and they are nice, but clueless folks.. Sell mostly Kubota stuff.

Follow the manual. I would not shortcut it.

Good luck.

/ NH 1630 questions #5  
I've always used 90w gear oil in my front axle. That is what my Ford manual calls for. 4765 hours on it and 32 years of service. I have seen that a lot of people here use Hydro fluid in that axle which if specified should be fine. I just feel better with a thicker lube on on slow moving, differential type gears as found in a 4wd front axle.

134 is specified for this tractor.

/ NH 1630 questions
Thanks for the info. The closest dealer is about 45 minutes away. I plan on going there Friday to get filters and fluids. I was going to order online, but I think I'll get the stuff at the dealer.

/ NH 1630 questions #7  
It costs me 180+ or so for fluids and filters. I use the mastergold 10w30 motor oil. My 9x3 gear transmission take 9+ gal hydraulic oil. The front axle is a separate hydraulic oil change. Wait for your manual before you try the fuel filter swap re priming it again. The power steering on mine also uses Hydr 134 oil. On mine there are two air filters- inner tube and an outer tube- easy swap out.

Goodluck and enjoy. Don't forget grease and oil for moving parts. A pump of some kind is handy for pumping in the new hydraulic oil (gets old holding a 5 gal container over a large funnel - 5 gal size is cheapest to buy, but awkward).

/ NH 1630 questions
It costs me 180+ or so for fluids and filters. I use the mastergold 10w30 motor oil. My 9x3 gear transmission take 9+ gal hydraulic oil. The front axle is a separate hydraulic oil change. Wait for your manual before you try the fuel filter swap re priming it again. The power steering on mine also uses Hydr 134 oil. On mine there are two air filters- inner tube and an outer tube- easy swap out.

Goodluck and enjoy. Don't forget grease and oil for moving parts. A pump of some kind is handy for pumping in the new hydraulic oil (gets old holding a 5 gal container over a large funnel - 5 gal size is cheapest to buy, but awkward).

That sounds like mine. I already have them saved at the dealer.

/ NH 1630 questions
I changed all the fluids and filters. I started the tractor and let it run for a few minutes. I check all the fluids and they were fine. I tried to start the tractor and it won't start. I have lights when I turn the key, but the tractor won't crank. I checked all the fuses under the hood and by the starter and they are fine. Any other suggestions? The tractor is in neutral and the PTO lever is in the off position.

/ NH 1630 questions #10  
I think your tractor may have a clutch safety switch so the clutch pedal will have to be depressed to start.
On my 1715 there is a wire that had come loose on my switch so you might check there also.
Your ignition switch also might be a problem, try jiggling the key abit when trying to start.