No Joy Joystick

/ No Joy Joystick #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I have experienced a problem with my "deluxe" model joystick for the FEL on my TC45D. With less than 30hr on my tractor, the threaded control shaft extension for mounting the joystick broke (photo attached). I am suggesting that this is a design which needs improvement since I did not exert any excessive force on my joystick to cause the break. Since the flat plate is tapped and threaded, its strength is reduced by at least 1/3. Any slight crack/defect in the metal around the screw hole will lead to the same failure I experienced. That's my theory anyhow.

My dealer (McMaster NH - Decatur, TX) has agreed to replace my control shaft during my 50hr svc. He was extremely cooperative and would have replaced it immediately, but I chose to have it done at the 50hr. I have a workaround which is very satisfactory (good ol' hose clamp) which will save me an extra haul/trip to the dealer.

I would suggest that anyone having a "deluxe" joystick might check their control shaft. Although my dealer stated that he had never seen this problem before, it's probably worth a check.

JimI

Attachments

• 13-36994-Joystick2.JPG
    13-36994-Joystick2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,008
   / No Joy Joystick #2  
If you want it done now and not at your 50 hr checkup your dealer will come out to your house and fix it or haul it in to their shop without charge to you for waranty repairs. If you only have 30 hours on your tractor it may take a few months to get to your 50 hr mark but if you don't use the loader much then it probally won't be a big deal. good luck

/ No Joy Joystick
Thanks for the info Robert. It was actually my idea to wait until the 50hr which I will have in about two more weeks. I put 8 to 10 hr per week on my tractor and constantly use the FEL. What I did was to use the good screw hole and insert it only as far as the first hole in the joystick. It stuck out about an inch. The control shaft still goes all the way up into the joystick (I was careful to ensure the wire was not pinched or chaffed.) so I put a small hose clamp around the shaft and joystick extension. It's very snug (dare I say better than the original).

I stopped by the dealer with a printout of my digital picture to give him a chance to order the part and have it available. He offered to take a control shaft off a tractor on his lot to fix mine. I'm sure he would have come to fix it, but I keep it at my "second" home which would have made it inconvenient for me to be home to give him access to the tractor.

I want to be clear that although I think this item could have been engineered better, I absolutely think this is a rare problem. Otherwise, I would have been reading about it here and on the other boards. But, by the same logic, I feel like I owe it to my fellow owners to mention the problem so they can check their machines.

Thanks again for your concern and info about warranty repairs.

JimI

/ No Joy Joystick #4  
Just to clarify on warranty repairs, NH does not cover travel time for service calls or pick-up and delivery charges for warranty repairs, so that would be a cost to you! Check with your dealer so you don't get an unexpected bill.

/ No Joy Joystick #5  
Jinman and other tc folks

This same thing just happened to my tc35d joystick this weekend. It broke at exactly the same location and almost the same number on the hour meter... 32hours.
I'm going to call my dealer this morning too. I agree with this earlier post that this design looks a little weak...I hope this is not a re-occuring item.
gary

/ No Joy Joystick #6  
Gary,

I got my joystick replaced at the 50-hr service for free under my warranty, and it is working fine now. I suspect that soon we will have others join us with this problem. Hope you get yours fixed soon.

JimI

/ No Joy Joystick #7  
Strange... I wasn't going to mention this but I just replaced the screws that hold my joystick on. Seems that one backed out after 100 hrs. Any chance the screws came out (of the joystick) and that caused the failure? I'm referring to the two black screws on the plastic part of the joystick facing out from the tractor.

Peter

/ No Joy Joystick #8  
Peter, nope, I checked it over good and nothing was loose or missing. the two screws are right were they should be. It's just a design that could/should be a little beefed-up. With the stress that is put on that connection and the repetetive motion on that one point. Snap!
gary

/ No Joy Joystick #9  
Jim, do you what the part number was that they replaced. My dealers service man wasn't sure if he needed the whole joystick assebly or not?

thanks
gary

/ No Joy Joystick #10  
Gary,

I "live" in two places. My tractor and all records are at my farm where I normally reside on Wednesdays and weekends. I will check to see if I have a part number on my invoice from my service work. I believe the part is the shaft only since the service manager said it was easily replaced. I will check and get back to you tomorrow night.

JimI