Starter Clicking but wont start

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #1  

cliff11880

Tractor
TC 40
I have a New Holland TC 40 and if I turn the key the starter just clicks. I can keep clicking it and it will finally start. The seat switch is jumpered out as well as the safety switch on the side of the transmission. I just purchased this and I knew it was an issue when I got it. Someone told me there is a switch in the transmission that was bad and they needed to split the tractor in half. That is not a route that I want to go if at all possible so any suggestions would be great

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #2  
It could be the solenoid.

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #3  
Or a weak battery, or a loose connection. Make sure you check both the positive and negative cables.

How old is your battery ?

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #5  
Since you have the other switches bypassed then by pass the one inside the transmission also. There has to be a wire going into the tranny and one going out.
You could ohm it out and see if the switch is working correctly. I have a tendency to agree with the other guys that a loose connection or battery is bad. Like randy41 suggested try jumping the battery. This will at least start to eliminate possibilities.

/ Starter Clicking but wont start
Thanks for the input. I jumped the battery and still nothing. Checked al the connections and still nothing. If i turn the key on over and over it will eventually start, Sometimes it takes 10 tries and sometimes it is 20 or more.

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #7  
My Craftsman ZTR mower does the same thing. I just keep clicking the key till the weak relay kicks in. Once it fails completely it will be easy to find the right one.
For a fix to the problem, If you are sure your battery is good, start with an Ohm meter and check each switch till you find the faulty one and then either replace it or jumper it if you want. I sure wouldn't split the tractor to replace a faulty switch.

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #8  
My Craftsman ZTR mower does the same thing. I just keep clicking the key till the weak relay kicks in. Once it fails completely it will be easy to find the right one.
For a fix to the problem, If you are sure your battery is good, start with an Ohm meter and check each switch till you find the faulty one and then either replace it or jumper it if you want. I sure wouldn't split the tractor to replace a faulty switch.

/ Starter Clicking but wont start #9  
I'll bet its the contacts in the solenoid. You can buy new ones on ebay and easily replace them yourself. They get hammered during engagement and get bent out of shape and worn. Not worth straightening out. You get a new plunger, too.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 150