1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #1  

2dawoodz

Bronze Member
I started a friend's 1920 NH for the first time in appx 6 months and noticed the needle on the Alternator gauge did not indicate it was charging. Asking for advice on what I should test. I only have a Multimeter. Does the alternator have a fuse or fusible link? He does not have a manual for the tractor.

Thanks for you feedback.

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #2  
Use the meter to check the voltage coming out of the alternator. If ok then test the volt meter on the tractor with a 12v battery and see if it reads true.
If it does then look at wires for loose, broken or shorted.

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #3  
A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts.

With the engine running and the meter leads on the battery posts, not the cable clamps, you should see over 13 volts, but under 15 volts.

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #4  
I doubt that a 1920 anything has an alternator unless it is aftermarket. if it is original it is a generator. In that case the meter would be an amp meter. If it shows positive it is charging if it shows negative the battery is discharging. If it is centered it means the battery is fully charged and not charging or discharging. Alternators did not come into common automotive use until about 1955/56 era.

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #5  
I assumed we were talking about the model 1920 New Holland?

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #6  
well I assumed it was the year. So I guess we both forgot what assumed means.

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #7  
592-td3a.jpg
TractorData.com New Holland 1920 tractor information

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #8  
All too many good folks like to refer to their pets by a short form name, also neglect to include their location and make and model in the info area.

I think the admin would be well advised that it be mandatory that make*, model* and location be required to enroll on TBN as it would save lots of traffic and frustration.

*'pending' could be one option.

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #9  
All too many good folks like to refer to their pets by a short form name, also neglect to include their location and make and model in the info area.

I think the admin would be well advised that it be mandatory that make*, model* and location be required to enroll on TBN as it would save lots of traffic and frustration.

*'pending' could be one option.
You could just ask. Why do we have to have mandatory requirements and get mods involved?

/ 1920 Alternator not charging based on instrument gauge #10  
The OP clearly stated that his friend has a "1920 NH".
On this Ford TRACTOR site THAT could ONLY mean a 1920 NH (New Holland) tractor.
Henry Ford did build tractors in 1920, but there were NO NH tractors in 1920.
Xfaxman did not RTFQ!