Oil & Fuel engine oil heaters

/ engine oil heaters #1  

jimbo8264

Tractor
New Holand TZ25DA
Just purchased a used TZ25DA. It came with a snow blower so I need to start it in cold weather (up-state NY) I purchased a dip stick heater, but it won't work. The dip stick take a almost 90 Degree turn into the oil pan. Anyone use a heater and if son whats the best kind? Also can I use off road diesel? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

/ engine oil heaters #2  
You can use off road diesel in N.Y. . I don't know if I'd drive far to save the money on cheaper fuel; unless you use your tractor an awful lot you're not going to use much fuel, so if regular priced diesel is a lot closer to you than the off road stuff an occasional 5 gallon can will keep you topped up. Little diesels don't use much.
Fwiw I start an older 50 horse diesel down to -10 without any heater, and the little newer 23 hp Deere would probably start at an even lower temp. Maybe see how yours does on chilly days.

/ engine oil heaters #3  
Want to warm the oil? Put in a block heater. The water circulation gets the whole block warm and the engine oil.

Don't be misled by the claims of dipstick heaters or oil pan heaters. Warming the block warms all.

/ engine oil heaters #4  
As Egon says, you'll be much the happier if you install a freeze plug heater, available from New Holland. An hour plugged in and you'll start like spring. 20 below give it two hours.
Jim

/ engine oil heaters #6  
Gregg Distributors Catalogue Table of Contents

I have one of these, red hi heat silicon, duct tape and you have a warm engine. As heat rises, it not only warms the oil for easy pumping, but also heat rising also warms engine. Read the rule of thumb for sizing. This is by far the easiest none invasive install you can do.
I have a 75 watt pad, after three years, the duct tape just started to let itself fall off the pan, but the red silicone will hold it for years to come.
Sorry , search for ALASKA HEAT PAD , in catalogue link above.

Last edited:
   / engine oil heaters #7  
Gregg Distributors Catalogue Table of Contents

I have one of these, red hi heat silicon, duct tape and you have a warm engine. As heat rises, it not only warms the oil for easy pumping, but also heat rising also warms engine. Read the rule of thumb for sizing. This is by far the easiest none invasive install you can do.
I have a 75 watt pad, after three years, the duct tape just started to let itself fall off the pan, but the red silicone will hold it for years to come.
Sorry , search for ALASKA HEAT PAD , in catalogue link above.

How does the pad work at -30 C ?

/ engine oil heaters #8  
How does the pad work at -30 C ?

We don't see -30 here anymore, I have needed to start it at -16C or so. As the pad is directly bonded to the oil pan, which is in direct contact with the oil, the conduction of heat is very good. I think at -30, I would also stick one on the water jacket of the cylinder block, providing there is enough of an area to do so (they are flexible so it would be possible). While thinking about it if there is hydraulic tank, put one on that as well.
If there was an easy frost plug in the middle of the block to get at, I would have both, the oil pan heat and a water jacket heater.

/ engine oil heaters
Well this AM we have about 3" of snow and 20 Degrees. Tractor would not start, had to use a jump battery. So I guess I'll need some sort of heater. I'll check my New Holland dealer.
Thanks for all the replays, nice help

/ engine oil heaters #10  
For temporary a tarp with a small electric heater under it work well.