Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered.......

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #1  

toukow

Silver Member
Tractor
2019 Kioti CK2610HST, Ford 1700 (Gone)
I thought of selling my Ford 1700 for no other reason than accessibility. With size 14 boots and a gut to match, it is not the easiest thing to get in and out of. It has plenty of horsepower for what I need and I've got a few 5 FT wide implements which she handles without issue. I've got her in good shape, replaced all the FEL hoses, etc. and it's always started. Any issues so far have been easily handled with the help of the forum (thanks! JC-jetro). Also, she apparently has a strong enough transmission casting to take an idiot without a clue operating a three point back-hoe off of her without issue. I'm more careful after reading issues on the forum, but initially was quite careless on the forces involved.

So I decided to go shopping for a new Kubota. In talking to the salesman he recommended the L2501 Hydrostatic with FEL as a match in size, and I finally got to drive such a transmission. I can understand their popularity. Of course, none of them can apparently handle a three-point back-hoe, so I'd have to sell that for a frame mount. Getting in and out was very nice relatively as you can see, with the extra step and all. But with tax out the door it was $22,700. I honestly doubt I'll put on more than 200 hours before exiting the planet, given being in maintenance mode on the property so just couldn't pull the trigger.

He did offer me $5,000 trade-in for my tractor, which I was glad to hear any sort of number, as pricing tractors takes a bit of study at any given time. So I've decided to fabricate an extra step that will use a bolt for the front end loader to attach. I don't see a lot of other modification possibilities, other than cutting down the shift levers or the like (which I'm reluctant to do). Guess I'll just have to live with her, which isn't such a bad thing. Thanks for letting me ramble, Toukow

Kubota.JPG

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #2  
I made the mistake of selling my 1710 about 5 yrs ago. I cant blame you for not trading. They are great tractors!!

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered.......
I made the mistake of selling my 1710 about 5 yrs ago. I cant blame you for not trading. They are great tractors!!

I must admit one becomes attached to them even more than motorcycles, and especially after all the maintenance work. Funny for an inanimate object, and I'm sure it appears stupid to the guys on here who actually make a living off of such devices! I'm a tool guy, and this is the only tractor I've ever owned, but it's the best tool I've ever purchased. Something about the capability (especially with a back-hoe) it offers I guess. Perhaps it's just the body subconsciously thanking you for not making it do that amount of work!

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #4  
You're preachin' to the choir brother!
Whenever the mood to "upgrade" strikes me I think back to the old boy that sold me his old Jacobson Chief 1000 for $100 and trotted off to Sears for a new Craftsman lawn tractor with all the bells and whistles. He went through four shiny new tractors and never stopped complaining that he never should have sold the Jacobson.
dscf1712.jpg

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #5  
These old Ford's are true gems. Reliable as ever, and tough as nails for their size. They truly think they're a bigger tractor than they are! As for adding a step, looking at my 1715, that might be difficult. How about bolting some chain or cable that hangs down? You'd just have to make sure you had a good grip on your fender mounted handle.

Chris

These old Ford's are true gems. Reliable as ever, and tough as nails for their size. They truly think they're a bigger tractor than they are! As for adding a step, looking at my 1715, that might be difficult. How about bolting some chain or cable that hangs down? You'd just have to make sure you had a good grip on your fender mounted handle.

Chris

Actually I've got some ideas on the step. I didn't say they were good ones! If I pull it off I'll post separately. Thanks, Toukow

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #7  
I did end up buying a Kubota MX-4700 for stuff that my 1700 can not do. All and all it is so difficult to find one single unit that matches all the needs and there is certainly efficiency built-in in the size. For many many tasks I just always find me gravitating toward my little mule that I call F-1700 for simplicity, adequacy and dirt cheap operational cost . Like any mule, it takes very little in and puts out a lot without complaining. I can get in to tight spots that I can not go with Kubota and yet never failed me once. I have made huge burn pile with the little Ford that amazed friends. For the price I paid for my 1700 I could only get a throwaway zero-turn that could not last 5 years.

So, making the long story short, "I ain't giving her up" and enjoy using it any chance I get. To "toukow", if you can financially swing it, then hold on to your Ford as long as you can. All things mechanical can fail big at sometimes but as long as you got oil in the engine, water in the block to cool,pump to push and enough hyd fluid and pump to circulate hyd fluid then it is really hard to kill this tough little tractor.

JC,

if you can financially swing it, then hold on to your Ford as long as you can. All things mechanical can fail big at sometimes but as long as you got oil in the engine, water in the block to cool,pump to push and enough hyd fluid and pump to circulate hyd fluid then it is really hard to kill this tough little tractor.
JC,

Thanks JC. I'm going to keep her, as I said she survived me being stupid with the three-point back-hoe, so most of the risk is past hopefully. When I bought her from a private party, a dealer mentioned parts availability. I have some concerns in that area, but I guess I'll worry about it if it ever breaks.

I stay on top of checking/changing the injector pump oil as I've found that a little low. I think the Hyd. pump is pricey, but available, and just did the water pump. My concern is not being gouged for the parts, but them simply not being available. Are parts availability an issue with the 17XX line only, or are there many other Ford series with have such issues? Just curious.

Now if I can just figure out how to stop the hydraulic fluid from gunking up every two years, which I attribute to outdoor storage/condensation. I may build a shed for her this summer to address that. Thanks, Toukow

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #9  
There is cross reference on part between old ford and some of their new ones. I know clutch material is readily available as they are same size as TC series. pump overhaul kit is available. That does not include gears so as long gear damage is avoid (running the pump dry) then the unit can be overhauled a few times at the least. Mine was overhauled once by me after 30 yeasr. On radiator hoses, I just picked the old one and eyeballed and matched closest I could find in an automotive part store. Filters can be found pretty easily. Water pump and radiators are readily available from Fleebay. An assortment of metric o-ring from HF can go a long way for a few dollars for replacement when time comes. I specially like oil bath air filters, you never need to do anything but clean the bowl every few years. you can rewire stuff pretty easily. Automotive switches can replace the oem stuff that would work just the same. Just give her a bit of TLC by proving it a loafing shed or something and she'll be happy.

JC,

Thanks JC. I'm going to keep her, as I said she survived me being stupid with the three-point back-hoe, so most of the risk is past hopefully. When I bought her from a private party, a dealer mentioned parts availability. I have some concerns in that area, but I guess I'll worry about it if it ever breaks.

I stay on top of checking/changing the injector pump oil as I've found that a little low. I think the Hyd. pump is pricey, but available, and just did the water pump. My concern is not being gouged for the parts, but them simply not being available. Are parts availability an issue with the 17XX line only, or are there many other Ford series with have such issues? Just curious.

Now if I can just figure out how to stop the hydraulic fluid from gunking up every two years, which I attribute to outdoor storage/condensation. I may build a shed for her this summer to address that. Thanks, Toukow

/ Sell my Ford 1700? I've reconsidered....... #10  

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but mine was every year when I had my 1700. I have a 1920 now for two years and no problem.