Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear #1  

Jims1910

Tractor
Ford 1910
My '91 Ford 1920 tractor has recently started popping out of forward and reverse when I back off the throttle. It also pops out of 4WD occasionally under load. Anyone know if these are common problems and how it can be remedied?
Thanks!

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear #2  
That is not good. I have a 93 1920 and have never had this happen. Sorry I am no help.

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear #3  
My 2120 was doing the same thing. The shifting levers were worn and had to be replaced seems like mine was not the only one that had that problem.

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear
Thanks - any PDF repair manuals available (free, preferably:))?

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear #5  
The shift mechanism is usually kept in place by a detent mechanism that is combination of spring , ball and carved out part of the block to accept the combination. weak spring can cause that. Can you change gear on the fly? not having to come to full stop. if you can , then synchronizer might have had cogs chewed up some. If you can hold the shifter in place by the help of a bungee cord without popping out then I would strongly suggest it is the detent mechanism.

JC,

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear
Based upon your description, I think I have a weak detent spring. Is the access cover under he floor pan?

/ Ford 1920 4WD Popping Out of Gear #7  
Based upon your description, I think I have a weak detent spring. Is the access cover under he floor pan?

I can't tell that for sure without studding the parts breakdown for yous specific rig. What you saw in the picture is right below the stick shift cover. The 4 WD engagement detent is most likely in the diffy housing.

jc,