Problem splitting Ford 1920

/ Problem splitting Ford 1920 #1  

jjdean

Tractor
Ford 1920
Hi,

I was having some clutch problems on my Ford 1920, so I decided to split the tractor and take a look at it. Lots of good info in these forums. Unfortunately, I can't get it to separate more than about 1/2 inch, and it was really tough getting it to go this far. I'm assuming right now something is really messed up inside (heavy rust or something broken) that is causing it to freeze up. Does anyone have any advice on what to do next?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• 0423161733a.jpg
    0423161733a.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 595
   / Problem splitting Ford 1920 #3  
Would the clutch disengage before you started the split?

/ Problem splitting Ford 1920
RickB: We tried that yesterday, we'll try it again. We payed more attention to the top/bottom gap. I'll make sure to check the side/side gap more closely today.

stuckmotor: No, the clutch wouldn't disengage, which is why I'm splitting it. The clutch seemed to be a bit flaky when I was plowing last winter. It seemed to slip a lot before fully engaging. Now it won't disengage at all. Had the disengage problem a couple years back but it finally broke free. I figured it was time to replace it.

Thanks for the responses. After all the reading I've done, I figured the actual splitting the two halves would be the easiest part.

Thanks for the replies.

/ Problem splitting Ford 1920 #5  
It sounds to me like a search with the words "stuck clutch" might be helpful. I hope you find good advice.

It sounds to me like a search with the words "stuck clutch" might be helpful. I hope you find good advice.

Yeah, I did that search the first time it happened. Couldn't get it unstuck this time.

/ Problem splitting Ford 1920 #7  
We've got my grandfather's old tractor sitting under a shed. There's a lever on it to lock the clutch in the disengaged position. I learned the reason it's there on this forum or one like it. Now I've got go remember to go out there and apply that lock.

We've got my grandfather's old tractor sitting under a shed. There's a lever on it to lock the clutch in the disengaged position. I learned the reason it's there on this forum or one like it. Now I've got go remember to go out there and apply that lock.

The 1920 Operators manual says to use a block of wood to keep the clutch pedal down when it sits for a season unused. I don't remember reading that the first time thru the manual years ago. Really wish I would have paid more attention back then.

Lower the jacks so the gap is equal top to bottom. Keep the gap equal side to side, too.

I think the side/side gap was the issue. The front end was moving around a lot (wheel chocks were slipping), so I anchored the front end to the wall to stabilize it. Split right apart. Thank you very much for the help.