Ford 3000 new dual stage clutch, acts like single-stage

/ Ford 3000 new dual stage clutch, acts like single-stage #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
We just replaced the dual-stage clutch on our '69 Ford 3000 gas with 8sp transmission. We decided to replace the clutch because we couldn't get the PTO to engage. The new dual-stage pressure plate/pto disk, trans disk, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing have been installed and the PTO can now be engaged without grinding. However, it now acts like a singe-stage clutch in that the PTO starts and the tractor begins moving all at the same time. Previously, pushing the clutch pedal all the way down stopped the pto and transmission and part way down stopped the transmission only. I have adjusted the pedal free-play and travel to what the service manual suggests (around 1.5" free play and 8.5" from foot rest to bottom of pedal). I'm not sure that this makes any difference, but I did remove the flywheel and had the ring gear flipped, then reinstalled on the flywheel. I did use a torque wrench and followed specs for the flywheel bolts and clutch plate bolts. The trans disk was also installed the proper way (at least it was the same way as the old one came off). Any help would be appreciated.

/ Ford 3000 new dual stage clutch, acts like single-stage #2  
It sounds like the clutch is not adjusted right. When we redid ours the pto wouldn't disengage even with the pedal all the way down, so we had to readjust. It sounds like you have the service manual, so it would be a good idea to check the 'fingers' and see if they are adjusted correctly. I don't have my manual handy, but there are two adjustments to the clutch and one adjust when the transmission plate is disengaged and the other is when the pto is disengaged.

I hope my response isn't too late, but I just saw the question.

/ Ford 3000 new dual stage clutch, acts like single-stage
It sounds like the clutch is not adjusted right. When we redid ours the pto wouldn't disengage even with the pedal all the way down, so we had to readjust. It sounds like you have the service manual, so it would be a good idea to check the 'fingers' and see if they are adjusted correctly. I don't have my manual handy, but there are two adjustments to the clutch and one adjust when the transmission plate is disengaged and the other is when the pto is disengaged. I hope my response isn't too late, but I just saw the question.
Thanks for the response. I ended up posting in another section of the forum. The problem was with the new pressure plate not being correctly adjusted from the factory.