Compression in radiator

/ Compression in radiator #1  

dirk crous

Tractor
Fiat 750
Dear All

I use a Fiat 750 tractor, 1972 model, on the farm.
When starting the Fiat 750 it blows out 0.5 liter to 1 liter of water through the radiator cap and overflow pipe.
When the water settles it does not consume water for the day to mention of.
I do not overfill the radiator.
The radiator and cap were replaced earlier this year and the problem continues.
The tractor does not use oil.
The tractor does not overheat. Temperature is fine.
Is this a head gasket problem?

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Dirk Crous

/ Compression in radiator #2  
I would do a cold leakdown test on the radiator and see if it holds pressure. May have a gasket leak or warped head that expands during work and stops the blow by. I have a fiat 2-60 White fieldboss that has been trouble free.

/ Compression in radiator
Dear All

When starting the Fiat 750 it blows out 0.5 liter to 1 liter of water through the radiator cap and overflow pipe.

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Dirk Crous

Dear Member

Thanks for the reply.
Pressure test on radiator showed no problems.
No oil in water.
No water in oil.
Engine runs smoothly.
Temperature is normal.

What now?

/ Compression in radiator #4  
Water expands when it gets hot. I know you say it isn't over filled but if you fill it when cold it will have to push the excess out when hot. Are you adding coolant each time after it pushes some out? It may just be finding it's correct level when it heats up.

Thanks Guy

I will check on the coolant.

/ Compression in radiator #7  
Dear All

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Dirk Crous

Many of these older tractors had radiators that were meant to be filled only about 1/4 inch above the radiator core. The rest of the radiator volume was expansion space for the coolant as it came to operating temperature. Since you don't have bubbles in the coolant with the engine running and no sign of oil or combustion products either, I think you are just over filling it.
Newer tractors have overflow tanks like automobiles but the oldies used the upper radiator tanks for coolant expansion space.

Dear Jerry

I will make sure next time not to overfill.

Thank you.

Dirk

/ Compression in radiator #9  
Dear Jerry

I will make sure next time not to overfill.

Thank you.

Dirk
When you start it cold, how soon does the water start to come out? How long before the leakage stops?

/ Compression in radiator #10  
Your auto recycler should have an expansion tank that would fit under your hood and connect to the radiator's overflow pipe. (need not be at radiator level, but it helps to be) Add 50/50 or 'premixed' only to that reservoir when warm, and a pressure-tight system will draw it back down to 'top-up' the radiator when the tractor cools off. A few hot/cold cycles will purge air from the system and maximize efficiency.

After a while you should have a full 'hot' and full 'cold' level to monitor in the o'flow tanik. If the level doesn't change after cool-down you'd have a leak that's drawing air instead of syphoning back from it. Sounds like you're pressure-tight and ready for the add-on. :)