what kind of oil

/ what kind of oil #1  

sjf

Tractor
tc29s
I live in the western new york area and was wondering what grade of oil i should be using. Last fall when i changed blues oil i went with 10w-30 even though the dealer wanted me to go with 15w-40. I figered in this climate it would be to thick.
15w-40 in 10d weather i dont know. What do you guys think

/ what kind of oil #2  
sjf,

According to the attached viscosity chart a 15W-40 is no better/worse than 10W-30 in 10 degree weather.
I use 15W-40 and switch to a 5W-30 for the winter.

The new 0W-40 rated oils have the widest viscosity range. One oil for both winter and summer use.

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

Attachments

• 13-38273-vischart.jpg
    13-38273-vischart.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 126
   / what kind of oil #3  
I would use what the specs in the operator's manual recommended to protect your warranty,than maybe after if you should feel comfortable try a different grade.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ what kind of oil #5  
Thomas,

Does your manual specify only one grade of oil? The Deere manual says you can use any of the following grades of oil at these minimum specifications.
0W-40 CH-4
15W-40 CF-4 or higher
10W-30 CF or higher
SAE 30 CF or higher
5W-30 CC or higher
Theirs being the PREFERRED brand of course. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

BTW. Predicting another snowstorm for here starting late tomorrow./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ what kind of oil #6  
DFB,
Below 32F..SAE10W or 10W-30
32F-77F..SAE20 or 10W-30
77F above SAE30 or 10W-30
I stuck with 10W-30 since I purchase the tractor,but change the oil and filter about every 45 hours.

Yeah I heard that nasty rumor on the storm /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and they call for lots of heavy wet snow in my area. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
I wonder if spring has been cancel this year.
You better not take those tire chain off yet,but the good side is you'll have plenty of time to shine your H-D. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ what kind of oil
I live in sandusky.green fields and no tides forever.

/ what kind of oil #8  
Sjf

As always, consult your manual to be sure, but... My $.02 worth - I would not really go for the heavy oil unless you are going to be running really hard in high temps or you have a tired motor that needs a little help keeping its oil pressure up. For all practical purposes the 10W30 seems to be pretty well suited for a wide variety of climates. If you live in a cooler area the 10W30 will flow a lot better - & more oil flowing over moving parts is always better. If you're really worried, spring for some good synthetic oil. They typically are available with a wider viscosity range & really do flow & protect better than conventional oils (especially if you change them at the same intervals). For what its worth the class III Boomers are all shipped with 10W30 from the factory. I ran 10W30 in my last tractor & still run it in my new Boomer & in my diesel powered pick up truck all year around. As soon as those engines are broke in they will probably go on a synthetic diet just like every gas engine I own (obviously I will use diesel approved oil though). I have never exerienced any problems whatsoever with excess oil use or burning due to 10W30 being too thin.

The bottom line is to get the oil you feel most comfortable with in your engine - its your investment.

Troy