Transporting tractor "long" distance

/ Transporting tractor "long" distance #1  

wihakowiSteve

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC35D
Transporting tractor \"long\" distance

It looks as though I may soon be moving away from New England. Any thoughts on the logic or ill-logic of having my TC35 transported to wherever I move (don't have that location yet, but it will probably be more than a thousand miles - FL?)

What options are available? (Commercial trucking $$?, deadhead on an empty NH truck?, ??)

Better just to sell here and buy again wherever I end up? (new tax, probably would have to buy new)

Is there potential economic benefit to taking it in re:some regions having better resale values than NE?

I know it sounds silly asking a rhetorical question not even knowing where I may want to move it to but - the deal that will precipitate the move may happen very quickly and I want to have at least some info to base my decision on. If the consensus is that it "makes no sense" top transport, I need to pretty much pre-decide to sell it quickly here.

Thanks!

/ Transporting tractor "long" distance #2  
Re: Transporting tractor \"long\" distance

Train. They are used all the time to transport classic cars. If they can handle that, your tractor for sure would be safe.

/ Transporting tractor "long" distance #3  

If you like the tractor and are not looking for an excuse to get something else anyway, I would keep it.

Moving companies often transport cars and SUVs along with houshold goods... I am sure they can handle a mid-sized tractor. They sometimes carry it in the same van as everyting else, and other times they arrange for car transporter or flatbed truck.

If self-moving, a car hauler trailer behind a rental truck will work. A freight broker (look in Yellow pages) can also arrange for it to be transported.... lots of options including all the ones you mentioned.

Rip

/ Transporting tractor "long" distance #4  

At the distance you are moving it.. It might be cheaper.. or nearly as cheap to just buy a trailer.. assuming you have a tow vehicle... Then if you wanted.. you coul sell the trailer afte rthe move and probably re-coup 90% of your money by sellinf that 'used only once ' trailer.. but heck.. if ya got a tractor.. ya need a trailer anyway.

You might be able to rent a trailer.. but sometimes uhaul frowns on hauling tractors...

Soundguy