Loader Ford 3550 industrial transmission help

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help #1  

skeeter102

Tractor
Ford 8N
My father in law has a 69 ford 3550. This has what I assume is the 4/4 power reversing transmission. It has a 4 speed transmission with a torque converter and a lever on the dash to shift from forward neutral and reverse. There is no clutch.

The issue is, neutral is hard to find/nonexistent.

How/where do I adjust this thing?

Thanks for the help.

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help #2  
Skeeter, welcome to TBN. You're right in that it is a 4x4 power reversing or power shuttle transmission. Can I assume that it transitions from F to R okay and vice-versa, but you can't shift the main transmission into gear? If so, there is no adjustment and the shuttle portion of the transmission will have to be resealed/rebuilt because you have an internal oil leak in the shuttle.

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help
Skeeter, welcome to TBN. You're right in that it is a 4x4 power reversing or power shuttle transmission. Can I assume that it transitions from F to R okay and vice-versa, but you can't shift the main transmission into gear? If so, there is no adjustment and the shuttle portion of the transmission will have to be resealed/rebuilt because you have an internal oil leak in the shuttle.

Thanks!

Everything seems to shift fine on the main transmission and on the shuttle.

It's just hard to find neutral on the shuttle if you want to stop the tractor.

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help #4  
Thanks!

Everything seems to shift fine on the main transmission and on the shuttle.

It's just hard to find neutral on the shuttle if you want to stop the tractor.

Check for wear and lost motion in the shuttle lever and linkage.

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help #5  
What RickB said. The technical term is "slopticity".

More accurately, "excessive slopticity". There is a "slopticity tolerance".

Makes sense that the linkage is wore out and needs to be rebuilt. Any source to rebuild the linkage?

Also, the power steering doesn't work. I've rebuilt the pump but it still sucks to drive. Maybe the steering cylinder is out?

I've never hated a piece of equipment as much as I hate this pos.

I'd rather dig a hole with my 24" drag scoop than even try and use the front bucket on this pos

Then sell it.

Wish I could!

The problem is, the father in law thinks it'll work for the things we need to get done. Dig a septic tank and lines, clear some brush etc.

At the end of the day, I need to fix this tractor so I can get stuff done. There's no money in the budget for a new rig.