Ford 1710 operating temperature?

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #1  

Litning

Tractor
Ford 1710
Hello all

I just purchased a Ford 1710 and according to the coolant temp gauge it is overheating. I used a temperature probe and the coolant was at 210 degrees at the radiator.

I do not have any manuals and can't find the answer online, but what is the normal operating temperature of the coolant in a Ford 1710? Also has anyone put in a capillary coolant temp gauge in place of the OEM version?

Thanks

John

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #2  
Thats too hot, I think it should be around 160.

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #3  
According to my 1900 docs the T-stat opens at 160. I have had trouble with mine getting into the overheat situation. Usually it happens when the grass is way high and I'm using the 72" finish mower. It pulls a lot of hp with high grass on a big deck. We have the same problem with high grass on the FarmPro 2420 (20hp) with a 60" finish deck. Not so when using the 4' Brush hog though as it's more in it's league for power.

Steve

PS - Like JC mentioned clean the radiator good. On mine this is after all of that cleaning.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710 operating temperature? #4  
Hello all

I just purchased a Ford 1710 and according to the coolant temp gauge it is overheating. I used a temperature probe and the coolant was at 210 degrees at the radiator.

I do not have any manuals and can't find the answer online, but what is the normal operating temperature of the coolant in a Ford 1710? Also has anyone put in a capillary coolant temp gauge in place of the OEM version?

Thanks

John

210 is a bit on the high side. Around 200 is closer to optimal efficiency. Look a the the thread below for more clarification.

I suggest you clean the radiator screen first, then get an air tank and a nozzle and blow the heck out of the radiator fins and for good measure get a garden hose and appropriate nozzle and push water from both sides to clean out the radiator fin thoroughly. Obviously, you want to do with engine cold and not running. I bet ya you will find substantial difference. Report back to see if you got good result and we'll go from there.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...179639-how-much-temp-too-much.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710 operating temperature?
found out today from the dealer I bought it from, cracked cylinder head. Time to start looking for a new tractor I guess

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #6  
While heads for these tractors are expensive, why replace the tractor rather then the head? What did the dealer advise?

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature?
The tractor is still at the dealer. They are making it right by either replacing the head or fixing it. I am still waiting to hear it is done, hopefully by the end of this week.

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #8  
Thats too hot, I think it should be around 160.
I also have a ford 1710 that will run cool then later climb up to 3/4 towards hot according to the gauge. I have replaced the thermostat, radiator 3 hoses and it has a fairly new water pump. I drained all the coolant out and poured white vinegar in ran it for about 10 minutes and let it stand for about 2 hours. Then drained the vinegar and flushed the system with cold clear water while running the engine at low speed. It still wants to get toward the hot side, I am baffled. I do not have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, if i have a bad head gasket or cracked block I would understand the overheating. Every time I start the tractor, it spits out coolant from the radiator overflow tube. Any suggestions??

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #9  
My 1710. FWD w Bush Hog 2240 FEL, had 3100 hrs on it. I still have the original brass radiator out in the garage. Tough tractor, ran hot because I let the broomstraw flowers build up on the front grill while bush hogging bought radiator off ebay. If all else is good on the tractor,have a rebuilt head put on it. Just my opinion.

/ Ford 1710 operating temperature? #10  
I also have a ford 1710 that will run cool then later climb up to 3/4 towards hot according to the gauge. I have replaced the thermostat, radiator 3 hoses and it has a fairly new water pump. I drained all the coolant out and poured white vinegar in ran it for about 10 minutes and let it stand for about 2 hours. Then drained the vinegar and flushed the system with cold clear water while running the engine at low speed. It still wants to get toward the hot side, I am baffled. I do not have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, if i have a bad head gasket or cracked block I would understand the overheating. Every time I start the tractor, it spits out coolant from the radiator overflow tube. Any suggestions??
You realize this thread is a bit stale since 2016 but info given is yet valid. You have done all the right things. Next , you need to removes all the buit up in the radiator fins from both side as much as you can. I would use a plastic bristle brush and brush the surface in direction of the fins to avoid bending them. I use a leaf blower and blow it out real good with high volume of air. if I need I might use a air compressor and and air nozzle to blow all the corners well. I would then use garden hose with hight pressure tip ( i hesitate to use power washer as it can damage the fins) and wash and spray from both side till all the water dripping is clear of dirt, mud and all other airborne junk. Try and report back.