Ford 2610 wiring problem

/ Ford 2610 wiring problem #1  

Bob Warner

Tractor
Ford (New Holland) 2610 with FEL
The factory wiring harness is fried. I want to make a new wiring harness from scratch and have a schematic. However I have never made a wiring harness before and would like suggestions.

I can get the correct wire sizes and colors, ends and all parts I need but my major issue is really routing and wire length.

Since the schematic does not give wire length I am unsure how to build a harness without wasting a bunch of wire.

I could just run each wore individually and connect one end (Dashboard end) and route the wire through the current path for the major section. Then start branching off each wire to its destination.

Has anyone built a wiring harness from scratch? Is there a method to the madness?

A new but seeming "Cheap" wiring harness is over $200 on the web and a lot more from the local dealer. Is it too much hassle to build one? should I bite the bullet and buy one?

Cash is ALWAYS an issue so I need to make an economical-vs-ease of completion decision.

Looking for your input; What would you do?

If buying is your recommendation does anyone know where I should go for the best value/price balance?

Thanks,

Bob

/ Ford 2610 wiring problem #2  
Take the existing harness off and build your new one to match. Label the ends with tags or painters tape and a sharpie if that helps. Figure lengths from the old harness flat on a bench or table.

/ Ford 2610 wiring problem
That was my original plan but the wires have been burned, cut, patched. It is a rats nest with wires that don't seem to be original and some that don't go anywhere. I was just hoping someone had already done this and had made a template or something. I will probably have to just wire everything one at a time and try to make it look as harness like as possible.

/ Ford 2610 wiring problem #4  
If you know what pin in a plug goes to what pin on the other end, you could use the existing harness to get an idea of lengths.
Otherwise, I would start at one end (instrument panel), route the wire to the other end and then cut it off at the panel end.
Wouldn't help with how much you need overall though.
I might get red/black wire in the sizes you need and some metal wire tags and just tag both ends each wire. Then make a key that says which wire number does what.

Aaron Z

Not a bad idea Aaron. I just need to find a good wiring diagram and go for it I guess.

Not a bad idea Aaron. Unfortunately I just found out I have the wrong wiring diagram.

I just need to find a good wiring diagram and go for it I guess.

Does anyone have the repair manual with a diagram in it? I have also got a generic replacement ignition switch and am unsure of the pins and how it should be plugged up.

I'm an old goat and this can get confusing. I used to be good at this stuff but somewhere along the way it went away.

Thanks to all for any help.