TC45D steam coming from the bottle recovery above radiator

/ TC45D steam coming from the bottle recovery above radiator #1  

IronShepherd

Tractor
NH TC45D
All,

I was brush hogging in 2nd gear in heavy prairie brush for 4 hours this afternoon with my TC45D with the throttle at 2600 rpms.
My son stopped by to say hello so I lowered the RPMs and I heard a hissing noise like a tea kettle, so I stopped the engine, got off the tractor, opened the hood and the bottle recovery (see link below or generic photo attached) was bowed up and there was thin spray coming out of a pin hole in the cap. I let the tractor cool down, for a while then un-did the bottle recovery cap and it was boiling and liquid was steams and shooting out, not over flowing like water from a boiling pot of water but some spits or water and steam. The temp meter on the tractor never went above normal and the radiator, hoses, and thermostat where we placed early this year.

Im not sure why this happened, hasnt happened in the past was wondering what others think is going on. One thing I noticed was the fins where dirty on the radiator and blew them out with an air hose. The engine was still hot so I didnt open the radiator cap to recheck the amount of flood in the radiator, I will do that tomorrow, it was fine earlier this week.

Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors.

Attachments

• NH TC45D Bottle - part number 86558482.jpg
    NH TC45D Bottle - part number 86558482.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 77
   / TC45D steam coming from the bottle recovery above radiator
note - the reason the radiator was previously replaced earlier this year was due to gunk build up inside over the past 10 years which did cause high temperature readings;
but since then there have been no overheating issues and the tractor has ran great.

/ TC45D steam coming from the bottle recovery above radiator #3  
Sounds like there may have been two concerns :

1) You may have been low on coolant (water) and did not realize it.

2) You said you mowed for 4 hours in heavy prairie brush - that would cause quite a bit of very fine dust that gets stuck in/on the radiator. You mentioned you noticed the fins were dirty. That was the stuff you could see. You need to keep the radiator clean during mowing. Sometimes even stopping several times to blow/rinse it off. I usually wash mine off with a hose and spray nozzle rather than air.

More than likely, yours was a combination of both.

/ TC45D steam coming from the bottle recovery above radiator #4  
All,

I was brush hogging in 2nd gear in heavy prairie brush for 4 hours this afternoon with my TC45D with the throttle at 2600 rpms.
My son stopped by to say hello so I lowered the RPMs and I heard a hissing noise like a tea kettle, so I stopped the engine, got off the tractor, opened the hood and the bottle recovery (see link below or generic photo attached) was bowed up and there was thin spray coming out of a pin hole in the cap. I let the tractor cool down, for a while then un-did the bottle recovery cap and it was boiling and liquid was steams and shooting out, not over flowing like water from a boiling pot of water but some spits or water and steam. The temp meter on the tractor never went above normal and the radiator, hoses, and thermostat where we placed early this year.

Im not sure why this happened, hasnt happened in the past was wondering what others think is going on. One thing I noticed was the fins where dirty on the radiator and blew them out with an air hose. The engine was still hot so I didnt open the radiator cap to recheck the amount of flood in the radiator, I will do that tomorrow, it was fine earlier this week.

Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors.

2600 RPM seems a little high? Ken Sweet

/ TC45D steam coming from the bottle recovery above radiator #5  
His tractor makes rated HP at 2600 rpm. I was unable to find what rpm it makes PTO 540.