Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy..

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy.. #1  

mahlers

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN70S
Has anyone experienced a squeeky steering wheel, and found a way to fix it? On mine, after a couple of hours of work, the steering wheel starts to squeek whenever I turn it. I can re-adjust the steering height and the squeek goes away for a couple of hours, but then returns. I'm thinking I'll try and shoot some graphite in there, but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get into the inner telescoping cylinder where the squeek is coming from.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy.. #2  
Do you have a cab on your tractor? With mine (no cab, just canopy) the steering wheel could squeak forever, but I wouldn't know it because of the engine noise.

2000 TN65 w/loader

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy..
Yeah, there's a cab - and it's usually nice and quiet in there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy.. #4  
There is your problem, trade it in for a non cab model and the squeek is gone /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can't help you, talk to your dealer and see what he suggest and if it is under warranty, tell him to fix it. My TN is an open station and I don't have an adjustable steering column. And like what was said before, I couldn't hear a squeek if it did have one.

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy.. #5  
This happens on about 50% of TN cabbed tractors. The steering column cover is split. The top half is fastened to the column with two screws. The bottom half is fastened to the top with 4 screws. At the steering wheel end, under the trim piece below the wheel, the two cover halves are held in place with a peice that can only be described as a glorified rubber band. This band interferes with the trim ring that rotates with the steering wheel, causing that irritating squeak. I have sprayed all manner of lube up there with varying results. I have removed the band on a couple tractors which has eliminated the squeak and caused no illl effects. Your results may vary. Any TN owners with tractors under warranty should contact their dealer if suffering this annoyance.

Thanks very much Rick - that's a perfect explanation. At least I'm not the only one who is getting driven crazy by that squeek. I'm going to drop the dealer a line and see what's the best and easiest thing to do.

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy.. #7  
Just an FYI, mine squeeeeks like CRAZY!!! TND 75....

I'm going to try and take mine apart and shoot some dry graphite in there. Hopefully that will take care of it - if not, I'll take it apart again and just toss that rubber-band that's causing the squeek. I have a feeling that the only purpose for that rubber-band is to make initial assembly easier by holding the two halves of the column together.

/ Squeeky steering on my TN driving me crazy.. #9  
Good luck

Fortunately mine doesn't squeak...Yet /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Andy

I'll bet that, if it doesn't sqeek now, it won't. You're lucky!!