New Holland 2120 will not start

/ New Holland 2120 will not start #1  

Zerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 2120
I am usually the first guy to say get a manual, but I haven't yet.
I have had starting problems. I put 10amp charger on for 20 minutes and it starts. I let it run. Have run it around 8 hours. It will start right after a stall. But not always if it sat.

Last week charged it, then disconnect battery. Week later no start. So I bought new battery. No start. Charged battery no start.

Sanded ground from battery to frame. 12.7 on big + at starter. 12.7 on red at switch. Turn key other terminals go to 10. Tried jumpering sparks but nothing.

Yellow relay with coil and one contact, small square below fuel cap. Goes 10 when kep turned. Jumped contacts, nothing.

There has always been a click up front right side. Fuel solenoid??

I expected to see a solenoid like an old truck with two big wires and 2 little, that I could jumper. Is it internal to starter like an old chevy?

I am not sure where to jumper to check stuff. Not sure about little black wires as starter.

I think switch can be ruled cause I jumpered, unless need more then one at time.

PTO lever is not all the way back, but as far as I can pull it.

Battery stays at 12.7 when turning key.
Thanks
1995 ford new holland. 4cyl diesel shibura? engine.

/ New Holland 2120 will not start #2  
Check your cables. I think you were on the right track sanding the ground. The cable can be corroded under the insulation. Is there any discoloration of the cable, (black or green)? Meters can give reading that mis-lead. I have read 12v on wires and switches but they were bad because they would not pass amperage.

/ New Holland 2120 will not start
Cables look good. Tight too.

Jumpered solenoid. Started.

I need to get wiring schematic. Find out what is in series with the solonoid. How are the safeties wired up.

I may run into town and see if TSC has manual. I wanted a factory manual, but may have to pay twice.

Ordered manual online. I may still buy one, I like to make notes

PTO is running even with lever back. Making noise, until I put to engage. I have tried changing with clutch in
Drove forward, tried then drove back tried, can't disengage PTO. no don't see a switch by the axle.

I have never used PTO.

I am taking + and jumper to black white wire the plugs into starter assembly. Not really jumpering soleniod, I am just putting power on black white. When I think of jumper in soleniod I think of jumper in battery + to starter. I believe I am just bypassing switch.

The manual I downloaded doesn't give me good idea what is going on.

I trouble shoot control wiring for a living. But those schematics they provided back then, are hard to follow. Not much better then hand over hand. Will make a copy and make notes. Locations, more detail, ect. Luckily there is not a ton of stuff.