1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup

/ 1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup #1  

mroberts5

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1920
2000ish New Holland 1920 2150 hr- Runs perfects, always starts w/ gas a lowest setting - only issue is that I have no oil pressure on startup (confirmed by both light and test gauge) for approx 3-10 seconds depending on temp (colder = longer). Once pressure builds it runs good - I forget right now, but lets say 20psi at idle and 45 at PTO speed.

I read some vague comments about both the anti drainback valve in the oil filter and some screw on the rocker shaft, but not sure (here: Ford/NH 1920 Oil pressure problem - Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild - Tractor Maintenance

It didn't do this when I bought it a few years back - maybe it did start w/ I last changed filter? Any credence to this? I used a NH filter.

Thanks.

/ 1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup
Changed the filter (and oil). Minor improvement if any.

Any thoughts?

So I called my local NH dealer and talked to someone in service. They said this sounded normal. Sound normal to you guys? I really thought it didn't used to do this...but now I'm questioning my memory.

/ 1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup #5  
Either you have the wrong oil filter( no anti-drain back valve) or your relief valve is sticking open. If your bearings are within spec cold oil will cause the relief valve to open and bypass some oil flow attempting to hold the pressure that is proportional to the relief spring setting. As the oil warms up, the relief valve will start to close may but always remain a bit open depending on what the regulated pressure is supposed to be. As the engine wears, the relief valve position will get more closed and with a good deal of wear will only open during cold start up. When your bearings are really worn, the pressure with warm oil will be less and less until the wear is such that you are below the spec level.In theory, that's how it's supposed to work

/ 1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup #6  
"Either you have the wrong oil filter( no anti-drain back valve)"

I vote for that, not all filters are made the same, while the size and fit matches some have internal check valves.
Buy a factory brand filter to eliminate that possibility.

If you had excessive wear your oil pressure would drop drastically at idle with a warm engine.
With warm/hot engine and reasonable idle oil pressure you don't have anything to worry about.

/ 1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup #7  
It looks like the NH oil filter part number is 84475542. Is that the filter you used? The Wix filter for that is 51348 (aka Napa Gold 1348), which also has a anti drainback valve. The NH filter is $18.00 and the Wix is $5.00 or $6.00.
(I happen to be researching these now for my DX55 which uses the same filters)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was using the NH filter before, and just swapped to the Mix. Same p/n's that were mentioned. I checked again and my pressure is a constant 40-50psi, hot and cold, idle or at rpm. It's only those first 5-10 seconds thatvI read 0, then it builds up.

What do you guys see on start? Instant pressure?

/ 1920 - No Oil Pressure On Startup #9  
My 2120 has a different engine, but I get 3 seconds or so til the light is out. 6-8 would bug me.
Jim

It's been a while, so I thought I'd see if anyone needs had any thoughts.

A few uodates:

I took off the head feed tube and confirmed it was clean and clear - no change.

And as expected the time to reach pressure is very dependant with temperature. It could be 20-30 seconds when in the 30s and as short as 5 seconds when in the 80s.
Should I be more proactive with changing oil viscosity between seasons? I don't put the hours on to otherwise need oil changes that often.

Thanks.