Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid.

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #1  

Sticky78

Tractor
Ford 3000
Just bought this '66 ford 3000. Without knowing a lot of history I started rebuilding the entire steering system and changing all the fluids. Steering was real stiff, so I changed front axle pivot bushing, wheel bearings, rebuilt the spindles, new tie rod ends and a rebuilt steering box.
Yesterday when I went to change tranny fluid I found 8 steel ball bearings and two big pieces of the bearing housing in the fluid. Also I found a patch, job weld and a plug, underneath the tractor in the very front part of the tranny, it was leaking too. I assume with all that metal floating around in there it knocked a hole image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegin the housing which was "patched" by the previous owner. I pulled off the top cover and saw more small metal shavings and some worn teeth but none broke.
Question is how big of a job is it to rebuild tranny? Is this procedure covered in the service manual? And where can I find some additional info? And also if I decide to drive it alittle while before I rebuild will I be doing more damage? It drove fine before what little I drove it. Btw it's a 8speed diesel. Thanks in advance.

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #2  
Welcome aboard!
There should be some Ford/NH owners who will chime in, but I'm sure it's laid out in the shop manuals.

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #3  
IF I found broken bearing parts in the bottom of the tranny of one of MY tractors, there's NO way I'd keep driving it!

SR

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #4  
I wouldn't be driving it. One of those balls getting caught up in gears would wreck havoc.

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #5  
Welcome to TBN! :thumbsup:

I agree with the others that I wouldn't drive it after finding that in the tranny fluid. That probably means something isn't being supported by its bearing anymore, and that's bad!!!! :confused3:

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid.
So it seems that it's the lower front bearing that gone. The gear there has some wiggle and worn teeth and that is also right where the hole was in the housing.

Would appreciate some advise/input on how to rebuild the tranny. I know I have to get a manual.

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #7  
Would appreciate some advise/input on how to rebuild the tranny. I know I have to get a manual.

Welcome to TBN!!

As far as advise,,,
1) disassemble
2) check all parts for wear/damage, replace as necessary
3) reassemble.

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid.
Do I need to split the tranny completely away from motor and the rear end or just the motor?

/ Metal balls found when changing Tranny fluid. #10  
For sure the engine needs split off. Not sure about the rear.

Soundguy and others here are very knowledgeable. They'll show up today.

Welcome to TBN. Sorry for your bad luck.