Ford/New Holland brake disc replace

/ Ford/New Holland brake disc replace #1  

gpick

Tractor
New Holland 545D, Bobcat T870
The brakes on my 545d are worn out and at the end of adjustment. The parking brake still works but standing on the pedals barely slows it down hills. The replacement requires removing the axles as the wet brake discs are inside the bell housing that attaches to the differential. The loader frame and the ROPS are bolted under and over the axle and it appears that both must first be removed. The local dealer estimates 4 days labor and parts for $3600. I would agree there is some work to be done here but it seems to me that if someone has done this before and has a fully equipped shop (like the dealer) it should not take anywhere near 4 days. Has anyone had their 545D brakes replaced? If so how many hours did they charge for?

Better yet, has anyone removed the rear axle themselves? I would greatly appreciate any tips from experience.

The dealer also quoted $500 for parts. I found the discs online for a little over $100.

Thanks in advance.

/ Ford/New Holland brake disc replace #2  
G, you're right, the dealer is overpriced. Figure about 12-15 hours to do the brakes. The ROPS can be unbolted from the subframe and front loader posts. They can be removed completely, obviously, but can be tilted high enough and the subframe lowered enough to roll the rear end away from the transmission with the wheels off. Two bolts need to be unbolted and the other two loosened from the front of the subframe to allow it to pivot down. Those are the basics to removing the rear end as there are other things necessary to disconnect.
Plates, seals and other parts can be had aftermarket or on ebay for less.