Ford 7600 Split?

/ Ford 7600 Split? #1  

strum456

Platinum Member
Tractor
Fords
I bought a 7600 a couple weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out how big of a winter project I just got myself into. The tractor needs all the regular attention / maintenance, but I am getting into some things that I am not familiar with.

1. Will have to split the tractor to fix a PTO that does not stop rotating? I understand that a worn brake band is a common problem. Can I replace the brake band by just removing the lift cover? My manual states that Load Monitor equipped models require a rear split to service the PTO clutch.

2. Is the PTO brake even the problem? When attached to my 9 foot finish mower, the mower slowly rotates with the pto turned off. It stops only at a slow idle. With the step-up gearbox on the mower, it takes considerable torque to rotate. Does this sound more serious than a PTO brake?

3. I plan to buy a hydraulic pressure gauge, so I can perform the tests outlined in the manual. What fittings will be needed for these tests? Is there anything else I should do to diagnose the problem before I dive in?

4. I am noticing some "chatter" coming from the transmission, only low idle. If I put the dual power in high, it gets worse. If I speed up the engine to 800 or so, it goes away. Is this just normal spur gear chatter? My 4610 doesn't make any such noise.

/ Ford 7600 Split? #2  
Splitting that tractor old tractor wouldn't be bad. At least compared to splitting my L3240. ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1477365229.065747.jpg

/ Ford 7600 Split? #3  
The book is correct. A rear split is required only if the tractor has load monitor. If you have a manual you should be able to determine whether it has LM or not. Yes, the brake band is your most likely culprit.

/ Ford 7600 Split?
The book is correct. A rear split is required only if the tractor has load monitor. If you have a manual you should be able to determine whether it has LM or not. Yes, the brake band is your most likely culprit.

The tractor definitely has load monitor. So, there's no way to get the band in and out with out splitting it?

/ Ford 7600 Split? #7  
Examine the PTO clutch discs for condition and flatness. Replace the PTO clutch piston seals and brake piston seals. Not much else, really. Set the brake band tension so the valve body just barely rotates from 3 or 9 o'clock to 6 when released with a fully oil soaked band and drum. Test before installing the assembly and while holding the drum in your hands.

/ Ford 7600 Split? #8  
Good stuff Rick. I try to pay close attention when you post concerning these situations.

There's a small few members here that have vast Ford knowledge. Rick is one of them.

/ Ford 7600 Split? #10