Ford 1710 pto grinding

/ Ford 1710 pto grinding #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
Im looking at buying a Ford 1710, tractor seems to be in good cond, runs good, 4wd, has a loader, 1390 hrs, the only issue I see is the pto grinds when trying to turn it on,,, , I can turn the tractor off and put the pto in gear and it works fine, any help appreciated, the gentleman is wanting 6000.00 for it..

/ Ford 1710 pto grinding #3  
Im looking at buying a Ford 1710, tractor seems to be in good cond, runs good, 4wd, has a loader, 1390 hrs, the only issue I see is the pto grinds when trying to turn it on,,, , I can turn the tractor off and put the pto in gear and it works fine, any help appreciated, the gentleman is wanting 6000.00 for it..

The clutch needs to be adjusted. It is a dual stage clutch. Simple and easy to do.

/ Ford 1710 pto grinding #4  
Adjusting the clutch would be your best case result. Replacing both clutch discs, and or the pressure plate, and two of the PTO gears damaged from grinding the PTO into gear would be your worst case. And I've seen both and everything in between. If the PTO stays in gear under heavy load, the gears are probably OK.

/ Ford 1710 pto grinding
I am mechanically inclined but have never done this, does the tractor have to be split

/ Ford 1710 pto grinding #6  
Not to adjust the clutch. But yes to replace it or any clutch components.
You will have to dismount the loader and remove the mid mount loader bracket to make the internal clutch adjustment.

/ Ford 1710 pto grinding #7  
Same issue with my 1510. I'm certain my issue is just the clutch needing adjustment. All I have as far as PTO attachments is a 5' brush hog, and I can start it spinning by hand and then engage the PTO at a very low idle with out much fuss. Once it's going, it never gives any issues.